Search the forum,

Discuss Strange pipe securing onto joists in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

manorpurl

Dear all,
After getting fed up with the noisy pipes, i decided to rip open the floorboards and i noticed something unususal. There are 2 places in my house where i notice the "thud","tick tick" noises come from.

When floorboards opened, i notice that the pipes are sitting fine on the cut joist, however to pin them down, the guy (whoever done it) has used nails to secure them onto the joist. ie, the nail is hammered next to the pipe and then bent on top of the pipe. I think this is what causes the tick tick noise.

What can i do to rectify this? Can i use these nail-in pipe clips to secure them properly. Please advise sirs.

yes, nailed clips will help secure it, there also some fabric on the market with can be used under the pipes to stop any noise they would create against the joists

Not sure to be honest, its a hempy style fabric. Lots of things you could improvise with.

Yes they are the clips

'hairy fairy' haha local plumbing merchants stock it mate. its basically insulation but plumbers use it to put under pipes to stop them squeeking.

Nails bent over to hold pipes often wear through the pies in time. I attended a flood in November due to this.

you need a roll of felt to place under the pipes,should have been done when pipework went in on initial installation,available from most plumbing/heatind suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange pipe securing onto joists in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Dear Plumbers/CH Engineers, I live in a 4 bedroom house near Croydon. The cold weather has arrived and Central Heating is on again. One major problem is that the pipes and rads are making a lot of noise. Our baby seems to be awake when heating comes on middle of the night. I have tried to...
Replies
Views
manorpurl
M
M
Dear Sirs, I have a problem with a noisy radiator in our bedroom. It keeps interrupting my sleep at night. Everytime CH comes on, i need some banging, thud noises coming from in and around radiator. It could be pipes, TRV, or the radiator itself. I thought that it would be air lock but i have...
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
I just wanted to gain any best practice regarding copper and plastic pipe runs when Notching/drilling Holes in Joists. I am well aware of the Building Regulations when it comes to Notching/Drilling, but just wondering if there is anything else people do different i.e. do you prefer plastic and...
Replies
Views
Went to a job 6 weeks ago. Very noisy hot tap (bathroom basin, combi.) No other taps making noise. Noise was pretty immense. Very deep, very loud, growling reverberation along pipe when tap beging used. Difficult to pin-point source of sound by listening as it seemed to manifest mainly under...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all, first post here. I have a problem in our house which I am getting fed up with because the landlord will not fix. I have had electrician and plumber out already and problem 1 they can't/won't fix and do not care for, problem 2 they moved the thermostat and also replaced it to no avail...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock