Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator making lots of noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

manorpurl

Dear Sirs,
I have a problem with a noisy radiator in our bedroom. It keeps interrupting my sleep at night. Everytime CH comes on, i need some banging, thud noises coming from in and around radiator. It could be pipes, TRV, or the radiator itself. I thought that it would be air lock but i have bled the radiator so many times. What is intruging is that when i bleed the radiator water seems to gush out at some pace compared to bleeding other rads. WHen i put my hand on the inflow pipe into TRV, i can feel water gushing into radiator.It looks like there is perhaps too much water pressure going into the radiator and out.
Could this be the case? We haev a sealed CH system. Please one of you gentlemen provide some ideas as to what i should do.

i do not have a combi boiler - it is a system boiler. and i still have tanks in the loft etc. (so i guess that would be a vented CH?).

Can you confirm how many tanks you have in the loft? Trying to understand if it is infact a sealed CH system.

i believe there is one tank in the loft for the hot water cylinder (located on the top floor of the house). Water for radiator is contianed and pressurised within the system. I believe there used to be a tank for water to rads but we got that changed a few months ago.

If it is a tick-tick-tick-tick noise from the pipework it's probably the pipes expanding and rubbing against floorboards and places where they pass through timber where the holes haven't been made big enough.

If you can find out where it's banging, try melting some candle wax around the hole sides.

Is the TRV mounted correctly on the flow side with the arrow on it corresponding to the flow direction?

Last edited:
At a guess.Water Hammer.Too many bends in the pipes causing flow problems.Sounds louder at the rad as the surface area works like a speaker.If so you'll need a properly designed pipe routing in the area that the problem is.Shouldn't be a big problem,but you'll need to refill the system after.That puts lots of oxygenated fresh water into the system.Like bleeding your rads.This encourages corrosion,old water is best as it has less oxygen over time.If water comes out of the bleed nipple at the top of the rad,where air would rise to.Then you have no air in the rad.Or a bad rad.Cheap towel ones can creak as they have so many tubes moving around.All metal will change form as heated.But a good rad won't make a noise at up to 100 degrees or more.Air expands more than water,so could cause a rad to creak under stress,but not very likely.Cool spots,especially at the top are more likely.Until they've been on a while and the metal heats up.As said before.Like the wax tip,have to try that.

um did you check the date of the last post by any chance?:smile5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator making lots of noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock