Search the forum,

Discuss CH Pipe Runs in Joists in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISM

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I just wanted to gain any best practice regarding copper and plastic pipe runs when Notching/drilling Holes in Joists. I am well aware of the Building Regulations when it comes to Notching/Drilling, but just wondering if there is anything else people do different i.e. do you prefer plastic and drill holes or copper and Notch? Do you use any type of lagging/felt to prevent water hammer, expansion and contraction noise, do you use pipe clips? Etc, etc

I hope you get my meaning.

Cheers

I just wanted to gain any best practice regarding copper and plastic pipe runs when Notching/drilling Holes in Joists. I am well aware of the Building Regulations when it comes to Notching/Drilling, but just wondering if there is anything else people do different i.e. do you prefer plastic and drill holes or copper and Notch? Do you use any type of lagging/felt to prevent water hammer, expansion and contraction noise, do you use pipe clips? Etc, etc

I hope you get my meaning.

Cheers

It depends on acessibility as to what I would use but use pipe clips at regular intervals and ensure your joists are notched in the correct location so as to neet regs :)

I would use copper myself though if its an accessible area

I use copper which by the way is better i use hairfelt placed in the notches it's stocked at most merchants (it used to be used for pipe laging in the old days)

I use copper which by the way is better

eh?? better for what?
better at going up some tight boxing in through two floors of a house?? no, doubtful!

Poly pipe and pushfits are great for low pressure stuff that is not visible/or is hard to access

eh?? better for what?
better at going up some tight boxing in through two floors of a house?? no, doubtful!

Poly pipe and pushfits are great for low pressure stuff that is not visible/or is hard to access

Fair point i to do use plastic but dont have that much faith in the joints long term have had to replace some of the more older types such as acon

Fair point i to do use plastic but dont have that much faith in the joints long term have had to replace some of the more older types such as acon

Agreed.
The old stuff can be dubious at best.
but the more modern quality fittings like Hep2o have a 50 year warranty so that will do for me :D

I only ever use copper under floors - been called out too many times to repair damage and clear up floods caused by pesky rodents!

However, perhaps its conicdence but from my experience, mice seem to prefer munching on Speedfit and Polyplumb to Hep2O

Last edited:
does anyone think you will realy be abl to claim on a warranty in 10yrs let alone 50yrs hope the company is still around and not rapped up or gone out of business and set up again a few months later and not honer the warrantys of the original company

I only ever use copper under floors - been called out too many times to repair damage and clear up floods caused by pesky rodents!

However, perhaps its conicdence but from my experience, mice seem to prefer munching on Speedfit and Polyplumb to Hep2O

I have had the same problem with rodent damage the customer did not believe me even after i showed them the dammage :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CH Pipe Runs in Joists in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock