Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing Central Heating Pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

manorpurl

Dear Plumbers/CH Engineers,

I live in a 4 bedroom house near Croydon. The cold weather has arrived and Central Heating is on again. One major problem is that the pipes and rads are making a lot of noise. Our baby seems to be awake when heating comes on middle of the night. I have tried to bleed all radiators a few times but with no success. I am resorting to the fact that i need to get someone to repipe upstairs part of the house as i believe that is where the problem is. I have lifted the floorboards and have found instances whereby the pipes are held onto the joists using a nail hammered over it. What do you guys think of this? Should i get the pipes replaced or can i get a plumber or engineer to come and rectify the issues with the pipes? Also, i f i go with option of changing pipes, how much will it cost roughly? Thank you very much

hell of a mess for 2-3 days, cold and about £1200.

get the nails out as this will only puncture pipes and support and clip properly.

noise sounds like contracting pipe work dragging on nails and joists, dampen pipes with lagging or underlay. d.i.y.

Thank you for your prompt reply. It is a lot of money :(.. Can i take the nails out myself? They are so tight against the pipes, i was thinking of cutting these nails near the joist end of the nail. Also was thinking of getting this Nail In Pipe Clip 15mm Pack of 100 - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys to put on the pipes. Will it help? Thank you

dont break from the joist as this will leave sharp edge and rub into pipe causing a leak. work loose with grips carefully.
get the pipe run so its loose when rocked and dosnt skweak then clip every 1500mm packing with foam or underlay against timbers but not tight as the pipes need to move latterally.

You should get the wean used to the noise. Keep the radio on when it is asleep, do the hoovering etc. They'll get used to it quickly then won't wake up when the pipes squeak :D.
Other than that

Lift the boards and follow the pipe runs. As Redsaw said remove any nails, do not cut them, check the pipes are free to move slightly in their notches, (you may need to cut some a bit wider if they are out of line) and pack around them with a bit felt or even some old rags etc. You may not need to clip them down again, they are not going anywhere.

Hi, anyone know any good plumber in croydon/wallington/purley area who will replace our central heating pipes? thank you all for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing Central Heating Pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock