Search the forum,

Discuss this design idea sounds very wrong to me! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys. the company i work for has just taken on a job where a biulding required a big pool (not a swimming pool its about 5baths worth) it is sunk into the concrete floor by about 5 foot, the site manager is on about a system to drain it. it will require a pump to get rid of the water when the "pool" is drained. so obviouse thoughts are to get a proper waste pump at Approx £900ish but no thats to expensive,

the site has come up with an "idea" to fit a grundfoss Central heatin pump to a switch so that when the pool needs draining they simply turn the pump on and turn it off manually when the pool is drained.

to me this is very much the not done thing but its all about price with these guys, cheap is good for them.

i dont like the idea of fitting this as its not build to drain water its built to circulate heating water.
cant walk away from this job as the work is already underway, this was just a nice little change of plans they sprung on us.

what do you guys reckon? will it work? should i give in and fit it or not?

cheers all

J

well the pump will have no warranty on it for a start

also it is a circulating pump designed to encourage water to circulate its power wont be enough to drain the pool within a reseaonable time frame

As already stated its a circulator.
I don`t think it would even prime up to pumps anyway:(

I cannot work out from what you post WHY this cistern is needed, where
is to be positioned, where the inflow comes from, and to where the discahrge is intended to go.

What type of water ? potable/non potable/effluent

I am sure we all would like to help but will need more details

centralheatking

Hi There are plenty of submersible pumps available. But to drain completely, they will need to construct a sump area in the cistern.
If the ground runs away it may be possiable to siphon the contents out. Bilge pump for boats are a cheap option. Good Luck

wont work, and will rot itself trying within months.
a good submersible pump is available for 130 quid.
recirc pump for 50.
if your boss really wants to save money he could install the dab 15/50 for 38quid
good luck.

As said they dont "pump" water very well, my nieghbour had an old pump off me for somthing similiar in his garden pond, it didnt work despite me telling him. Let them waste time and money trying.

my thoughts exactly, think ill explain AGAIN that it wont work and see what they say, :)

Wont work. However you can buy a plastic head for Grundfos pumps for use in ponds , they used to be all the rage in Koi ponds and had to cope with all manner of salts and chemicals

Ditto, I've told someone the same thing before and then stood back and chuckled as they tried it anyway, DOES NOT WORK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to this design idea sounds very wrong to me! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, details; house built in 1891, gas central heating system installed in 1986; gas boiler on the ground floor with an immersion tank...
Replies
Views
B
M
priced a job there for a bathroom swap with shower tray, bath, basin, toilet and chrome towel rad and shower pump at hot water cylinder quoted...
Replies
Views
S
I was talking to someone who said he had a Saniflo system though he had difficulty remembering the name so it could be something else. It sounded...
Replies
Views
O
S
Got your attention, good. Its a while since I started a thread and this is possibly a bit controversial and I'm hoping for some lively debate...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all I was called to a job today in a 3rd floor flat. The customer complained about the central heating not working. its conventional system...
Replies
Views
Puddle
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock