Discuss Central heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arhplumbheat

Hi all

I was called to a job today in a 3rd floor flat. The customer complained about the central heating not working. its conventional system with f+e tank above potterton kingfisher cf 60 floor standing open flued boiler. The problem seems to be when the programmer is switched to CH and the trv are all open, the boiler kicks in, runs for about 2-5 mins and cuts out. It heats the pipework up in the cupboard where it is situated nicely but the heat only just gets to the first rad on the system before it cuts out.
I checked to see if the pump was working and it was ceased up so I replaced this but problem is still there. The pump valves were ceased also so I had to drain down.
The general condition of the system was old and poorly maintained. Sludge in pipework, f+e tank dirty and stagnant.
(f and e tank was being supplied from a cold feed from the cold water tank in loft, is this allowed?) .
The 3 port motorized valve which is only 6 inch or so from the pump was showing no sign of holding open on the spring when I tried to see it would stay on one side.

The HW cylinder was warm when I arrived so I am assuming the boiler runs for long enough to heat the water in there. Unlikely to of been heated via immersion as fused switch for it was coved in dust!

So any ideas of why boiler cuts out after such a short time?

Many thanks in advance

Adam

Hi all

I was called to a job today in a 3rd floor flat. The customer complained about the central heating not working. its conventional system with f+e tank above potterton kingfisher cf 60 floor standing open flued boiler. The problem seems to be when the programmer is switched to CH and the trv are all open, the boiler kicks in, runs for about 2-5 mins and cuts out. It heats the pipework up in the cupboard where it is situated nicely but the heat only just gets to the first rad on the system before it cuts out.
I checked to see if the pump was working and it was ceased up so I replaced this but problem is still there. The pump valves were ceased also so I had to drain down.
The general condition of the system was old and poorly maintained. Sludge in pipework, f+e tank dirty and stagnant.
(f and e tank was being supplied from a cold feed from the cold water tank in loft, is this allowed?) .
The 3 port motorized valve which is only 6 inch or so from the pump was showing no sign of holding open on the spring when I tried to see it would stay on one side.

The HW cylinder was warm when I arrived so I am assuming the boiler runs for long enough to heat the water in there. Unlikely to of been heated via immersion as fused switch for it was coved in dust!

So any ideas of why boiler cuts out after such a short time?

Many thanks in advance

Adam

You have done alot of visual checks but as said you are going to have to get use to using a multi meter to test heating circuit from programmer,room stat,motorised valve ect,
Look on you tube for lessons on basic how multi meter use and honeywell site to look at wiring diagrams,get the basics

totaly agree you cant do electrical fault finding with out a multi meter,and if you dont know how to use find out not only will it save you money in correct faulting it may one day save your life

Good advice about having to use and know how to use a multimeter but my advice is don`t use youtube to teach you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock