Search the forum,

Discuss silicon grease? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've read somewhere that a drop of silicon grease helps for instance when replacing the "o" ring in a mixer tap. Does anyone use the stuff? If so which type?

cheers fellas,

dave

Hi all,

I've read somewhere that a drop of silicon grease helps for instance when replacing the "o" ring in a mixer tap. Does anyone use the stuff? If so which type?

cheers fellas,

dave

no it dont, did it lasst week did not seal neck, i think what they are refering to is to ease putting the swan neck back into the socket. if your looking to repair a leak a different method i have discovered works, i now class it as ;)

I use the hepworth "slippy" great for makin the 110mm fittings slide on with ease.

Hi all,

cheers fellas,

dave
siliccon grease is silicon grease doesnt matter what make it is cheapeast way to buy is the big tubs for pushfit drains if your using it for taps etc one tub should last about 20 years unfortunatley the tub isnt so robust when rattling round the back of a van and mine now resides in a strong plastic bag

Last edited:
Well you can buy the cheap stuff and ok for taps,waste pipes and things but on showers and boilers you are better off with the heat resistant stuff,alot more expensive but worth it and if the miss's runs out of ky gel it is a good substatute

Well you can buy the cheap stuff and ok for taps,waste pipes and things but on showers and boilers you are better off with the heat resistant stuff,alot more expensive but worth it and if the miss's runs out of ky gel it is a good substatute

but does it make your bum sting?.:D

ky ? weve managed with lard this far

i just use centre cheapy tub only a small tub but only really use it when pushing pan connectors in etc

Good stuff silicon grease. You can get spray on silicon as well. If you use the likes of Swarfega to help slide push fit pipes together, after a time it sets solid and the pipe can't expand or contract in a straight line, so tends to go like a banana.

The grease is also helpful in easing taps and the rubber rings inside some modern taps used as packing glands. The high temperature stuff is probably best of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to silicon grease? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
We recently had a new combi boiler fitted in our kitchen. The installer used a rubber adapter to fit the condensate pipe directly into a 40mm boss on an adjacent soil pipe (the adaptor is a rubber ring with ridges around the outside and inside). Now, before putting drywall over this area...
Replies
Views
mfripp
M
S
Hi all, My folks bungalow was built in 1989. After several months of problems with kitchen sink smells and floods then got to the problem today. The sink waste feeds into a gulley trap which is INSIDE the house. This was a gulley with a normal plastic cover where you cut hole for waste pipe and...
Replies
Views
G
Hi folks, thinking about replacing electric shower that came with the house with a nice thermostatic mixer. We have a 24 kW Worcester-Bosch Combi, fully modulating, hopefully it is suitable. I was aiming to buy a shower myself, then get someone to fit it. First of all, the original building...
Replies
Views
greyhound_dog_1
G
T
I am looking for a cheap way of plumbing up a washing machine which is located outside of the house in a shed. The shed is close to the house, and has a power supply. The washing machine is one which just has a cold feed. Would I be able to (subject to getting the right fittings), simply run a...
Replies
Views
flat pack
F
B
I recently put in two new kitchens (it's a long story), and in both cases time and money dictated choosing Ikea, including the plumbing - something which I am now coming to regret! I have two questions for anyone who has tackled (and beaten) the Ikea sink plumbing system: 1) The 'Atlant'...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock