Discuss please help as im confused on a certain question? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dubberz25

A water storage tank measures 2m x 1.5m x 2m and contains water up to a depth of 1.6m. Given that the pressure exerted by 1m2 of water is 9.81 kN / m2, which of the following calculations shows how the total pressure exerted on the base of the tank should be calculated?

a: 9.81 kN / m2 x 1.6
b: 1.6m x 9.81 kN / m2 x2m x 1.5m
c: 2m x 1.5m x 2m x9.81 kN / /m2
d: 2m x 1.5m x 9.81 kN / m2

It is confusing isn't it!

The pressure exerted by water at the bottom of a vessel depends ONLY on the depth, not the volume or any other tank dimensions. So the pressure at the bottom of a 1m long vertical 15mm pipe full of water is exactly the same as the pressure at the bottom of a swimming pool at the 1m end: that is 9.81kN/m2 (9.81kPa)

1 metre of water depth exerts a pressure of 9.81kN/m2 (9.81kPa, about 0.1bar). So 1.6m depth exerts a pressure of 1.6 x 9.81kN/m2 = 15.70kN/m2 (15.70kPa).

So your first calculation is the correct one!

(A rough guide is that 1 atmosphere, i.e. 1 bar, or 100kPa, equals about 10m of water head.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to please help as im confused on a certain question? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We are planning to install a small central heating system & would be pleased to get some advice as to which type of boiler we should buy...
Replies
Views
Mikeyteach
M
C
I am looking at getting an unvented cylinder to replace my existing traditional vented system with cold water storage tanks. Water pressure into...
Replies
Views
M
Miss joe having a go can you please help! I have a conventional heating system: boiler a cupboard in the dining room, immersion tank in the airing...
Replies
Views
Blackcatgas
B
L
Evening all, I have a Potterton Performa 28, 95% plumbed with JG Speedfit the system is 8 years old. Over the past few weeks the system has been...
Replies
Views
les luchini
L
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock