Discuss new to forum/views on boiler life span in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumsum

hi all!
new to this internet, been on the tools gas\plumbing wise 35yrs.
seen lots of changes some good some not so.
been fitting gas boilers since 7o's. any thoughts on poor longevity
of modern combis?

The short life of things used to bug me but we live in a throw away world and boilers are part of that, it is needed to keep the ever increasing population employed doing something
It has been hard to stop carrying so many bits and pieces for boilers, as now even alot of parts you can not repair as sealed units or so flimsy to work on
Its an age thing, the younger plumbers think nothing of taking out and replacing and I am getting like that now, after a certain make of boiler gets past a certain age, I just advise replacement and I find more and more of the sheeple except it as they are used to the situation with other equipment around them
You also have to be careful repairing older boilers as can effect your reputation, as you repair one thing, another goes wrong the next month and the finger gets pointed at you rather than the aging parts in the boiler, same applies in other plumbing equipment

imho

Not just boilers ... washing machines, toasters, irons, cars and even long, hot summer days don't seem to last as long. Totally agree with Puddle's points and he's saved me much typing.

things are not built to last anymore,the combis i fit the performa lasts about 10 years a ideal esprit i fitted today will last about 18 months

got to agree with you all.
used to keep old mexico's etc going for ever, nowadays i will spend ÂŁ200 aprox of customers money on repairs then rec replacement
some you repair
some you replace
some you walk away from

As above the older boilers ie b4 combis and condensing boilers would run
almost forever.

Now combis esp the cheap ones might only do less than 5 years. The
condensers are even worse I am told. I have friends in low places at british gas (service and call out) who tell me very alarming instances of the new condensers failing. New technology, brought in in a hurry and not fully thought out - their words not mine, and fitted for grant money etc gravy train springs to mind.

I fitted for myself a new 30 kw wall hung conventional boiler which was 'discovered' at the back of my plumbing merchants about 3 years ago,
paid ÂŁ300 for what was a ÂŁ750 boiler I dont give a stuff about the efficiency but it will work for the next 10+ years no new parts etc.

I suppose its a trade off between efficiency and the total cost of a new system - anyway these new boilers gobble up much more electricity now with extractor fans, overruns on the fan/pump etc is this taken into account ?.

Rant over

centralheatking

If we get 10 years out the condensers, we'd be lucky.

I've often thought about this energy efficiency lark. Is it really more efficient to replace a boiler every 10 years -- bearing in mind the manufacturing process, shipment, installation, scrap, etc -- versus running a 60-some percent efficient boiler?

I replaced my previous oil boiler 10 years ago. The previous one was 34 or 35 years old. The only problem I ever had with it prior to replacement was when it was about 17 years old. The contacts in the clockwork mechanism controlling fire up sequence had worn. I stripped the mechanism. Put it on the garage bench, did some re-soldering and refaced the contacts with small needle files etc. After that it carried on happily for a further 17 years.

Not as fuel efficient but beautifully simple (apart from the clockwork).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new to forum/views on boiler life span in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Hi, new to the forum, but hoping that someone can and is willing to offer some advice. I am currently living and working in France. I own and...
Replies
Views
robertwo
R
hi all, i'm new here and am posting as I'm in need of a replacement boiler and find the world of plumbing daunting as I have no knowledge of it...
Replies
Views
A
My main boiler has developed a drip leak from the area of the condensate trap. It is not excessive, but so far the plumbing engineer has not...
Replies
Views
gasmarc
G
N
Hi all, Ive just had the usual problem where our great 'old school' plumber is expected to have a BSC in electronics engineering. The problem is...
Replies
Views
Newcastleguy
N
G
Hello gentleman. I've had a new boiler and cylinder installed. I became suspicious after a few things were done wrong - nothing serious, but...
Replies
Views
Gromit
G
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock