Discuss Compssion compound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plum Bob 66

Hi

Can anybody out there give me the name of a propriatory brand compression compound.

Thanks

Plum bob :)

Hi. Boss white (not for drinking water pipe work), boss green. Or a bit of ptfe wrapped around the olive prior to tightening.

depends what your looking to use it on really. strictly speaking compression joints shouldnt need anything, if they are prone to dripping like the cheap hard ones i find a bit of ptfe works best.
for non drinking water steel threads like commercial heating defo use boos white and hemp for best results (not ptfe) you dont normally come across drinking water threaded pipe but if so i would use boss green

does this help?

im sure there was one called jet blue which was great and worked on everything?

Last edited by a moderator:
For CH pipework I always use Stag paste (however it's mainly because I am an oil engineer and it's always handy in my toolkit!)

stag, blimey i used to use that as an apprentice, only on steam or high temp heating if i recall correctl, never on threaded standard CH. It was dead sticky stuff , was it the red or black stuff?

It's used for making joints on oil lines - fitting filters etc. It is finer than Boss White so more suitable for oil applications.

There are two types now - A and B, both red. A is thin for coating gaskets etc. B is for threaded joints, olives etc.

It's not that sticky,expecially compared with that Heldite stuff you get with the oil tanks. Now that IS sticky - you end up with more on your fingers than on the joint! Judging by the smell of it, I would guess it's a shellac based product.

Last edited:
jet lube gas seal - also for use on potable water. white yellow lid.

use it for everything!!

[DLMURL="http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?prodcode=Jet+lube"]V2 Jet lube - Copper & plastic pipe tools & consumables - Plumbing Tools & Equipment, V2 jet lube,lube,v2 - www.trades-direct.co.uk[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
No Fernox Lsx fans then?

Use that and Boss White,mostly just dab the boss white behind my ears,as smell send miss's wild,well maybe not wild :( but she likes the smell :confused:

Yes, that's probably why I like Boss White - reminds me of summer evenings playing cricket as a teenager (from the linseed oil on the cricket bats).

I use fernox lsx on all potable, and fernox hawk white on gas and heating.

I tend to use Fernx Water Hawk quite a bit.

I've also seen Plumber's Blue.

In my experience, Boss Green can be difficult to get a good seal in some circumstances. For threaded fittings you are supposed to use the Boss reinforcing fibre but I often find that even with that it just squeezes out and the joint weeps.

I've come across fittings in the past where the previous installer has tried to use Plumbers Mate to seal a joint! :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Compssion compound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
I had a brand new Vaillant ecotec 837 boiler fitted in June and ever since then there have been intermittent rotten egg smells coming from the...
Replies
Views
ecowarm
E
P
Driving about the last month,has been seeing a lot of vans with new plumbing names on,most be the time of year or all the site plumbers and newly...
Replies
Views
C
Sorry about the title but with all the trainees about, I had to grab everyones attention and stand out somehow! I am looking for someone who...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
S
Sealed or Vented? We want to hire a plumber to install a new heating and plumbing in our home. It seems that before we can get proper quotes or...
Replies
Views
M
Iv`e been unempolyed for a few years and iv`e recently attened and passed a course at a training academy. The course is decribed as an "Intensive...
Replies
Views
Gray0689
G
Back