Discuss Scrap Price for Copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday lastweek I was getting 3700 for coper and 3200 for brazery soon adds up I take 2 or 3 rhino buckets in when I go and regulary come out with 150 200 pound ish I have had a waste carries licence in the past but now adays I turn up in the family car and play the old oh I have renewed the heating at hiome if the council come around

I'm just bumping this thread for no particular reason. If it isn't a current topic, don't worry about it, just ignore it and it'll move off the forum list before long. If it is a topic you'd like to reply to though, go ahead. :)

My scrappy says the price is starting to shoot up since brexit given the pounds falling value against the dollar

thats good as i got two indirect cylinders and about 75kg of copper to scrap :rockon2:

copper is up brass is down

Is it true copper is up? I've been sat in mine for about a year waiting for it to ,
Be probably got over 150kgs of brass aswell so I will
Have a ring around

I took mine in yesterday. 2.90 copper tube clean, 2.41 for brazier, 2.00 for brass and 1.00 for lead. Walked out 500 quid. Luvly jubbly

My scrappy says the price is starting to shoot up since brexit given the pounds falling value against the dollar

Your scrappy is correct.

The price of new copper has risen anyway, even in dollar terms, from a recent low of about $4600/tonne to about $4913/tonne at close of the markets tonight. That rise of just under 7% is not remarkable - the market often swings by that amount, and as recently as March 16 and May 16, the dollar price occasionally went over $5000/tonne.

However, if you factor in the approx devaluation of the pound against the dollar, post Brexit, then you have another 8% to 10% increase in the sterling price, as you need more sterling to buy a dollars worth of copper. Put the two together, and you are in the high teens in terms of a % price change.

Although the correlation is far from exact in the short term, in the long term the scrap price will shadow the price of newly mined, raw copper. Scrap can never rise above the price of new, otherwise the mining and smelting companies would simply take their virgin production straight to the scrappie, which is clearly nonsense.

So expect a better price at the scrappie. The downside, of course, if that you should also expect a higher price at the merchant. You can't have it both ways!

:)

And that is what I don't get when people complain scrap is low it's costing less to by in the first place soon complain when it becomes expensive to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Scrap Price for Copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
Given I've an old stone house that needs constant heat to drive the moisture out I'm planning on moving my oil burner out of the house to a shed...
Replies
Views
Anybody got any recent prices for copper and brass? What if anything do you get for old rads? Thinking of clearing the cellar!!!
Replies
Views
L
:) Good morning, i have a multi part question if you have a moment to read and possibly comment. I have just replaced the immersion heater on...
Replies
Views
Leoki
L
I
Forgive the ignorance, and possibly stupid questions. We have a building that has a oil fired boiler, that need to be scrapped. I am...
Replies
Views
oldplumber
O
E
I'm replacing an existing direct copper cylinder. There's no boiler, just an immersion. The old cylinder has a header tank in the loft and there's...
Replies
Views
dontknowitall
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock