Discuss Ideal Icos HE18 Fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willing2learn

Hi, having an issue with my boiler. It is flashing up with the fault code 'F' then 'L'. According to the manual this is a failure to light. Just wanna say here that I'm not Gas safe registered butI am a competent plumber.

I've gone through the fault finding list in the manual and so far discovered that the gas valve is getting 240v when called for and you can hear the 'click' from it. But it just doesn't seem to be lighting.

Is there anything else I can try? Just discovered the immersion element doesn't work either! :eek:

Hi, having an issue with my boiler. It is flashing up with the fault code 'F' then 'L'. According to the manual this is a failure to light. Just wanna say here that I'm not Gas safe registered butI am a competent plumber.

I've gone through the fault finding list in the manual and so far discovered that the gas valve is getting 240v when called for and you can hear the 'click' from it. But it just doesn't seem to be lighting.

Is there anything else I can try? Just discovered the immersion element doesn't work either! :eek:
are you sure that the gas supply is on and purged to the boiler

are you sure that the gas supply is on and purged to the boiler

I know the gas supply is on as our fire and cooker both work. Would I still need to purge it to the boiler? Nothing has been touched on the gas pipe work, so surely air couldn't just 'appear'?

I know the gas supply is on as our fire and cooker both work. Would I still need to purge it to the boiler? Nothing has been touched on the gas pipe work, so surely air couldn't just 'appear'?
that right so now id be looking to see if there a sparkare electrodes clean and adjusted is electrode lead ok but for that you do need a gsr engineer

that right so now id be looking to see if there a sparkare electrodes clean and adjusted is electrode lead ok but for that you do need a gsr engineer
Yes thats what I thought, should hopefully be having someone round later to look at it, my old boss talked me through as much as I could do, he mentioned the spark electrodes, but I had trouble getting it out. Will wait for the gsr to turn up tomorrow. Thanks :)

always check condense trap first, make sure its not blocked with ali silt off h/e, check its not frozen outside.

always check condense trap first, make sure its not blocked with ali silt off h/e, check its not frozen outside.
Hi, sorry, should've said, this was the first thing I took off and checked. It was all fine. Apparantley speaking to a friend, all signs are pointing towards gas valve being faulty, he said it's a common thing with these boilers.

Update* had a gsr guy come out to look at boiler. He said it was the pcb. I've gone and bought one today and fitted it. Still the same fault! Technical helpline weren't much help either! Any ideas anyone?

Remove the ignition eletrode any see if you can get a spart to the earthed burner casing if not check that there is 240v supply to the spark generator if there is replace all 3 - spark generator, ignition lead and spark electrode:)

Remove the ignition eletrode any see if you can get a spart to the earthed burner casing if not check that there is 240v supply to the spark generator if there is replace all 3 - spark generator, ignition lead and spark electrode:)
Are these items a common fault with these boilers? Already replaced a pcb, that didn't need doing, dont want to start buying more bits until im 100% certain it'll sort it.

Yes they are quite common but would probably get away with just replacing the ignition electrode. I have repaired many of these and have replaced all 3 parts to be on the safe side and should cost you less than 50 quid for all 3

Yes they are quite common but would probably get away with just replacing the ignition electrode. I have repaired many of these and have replaced all 3 parts to be on the safe side and should cost you less than 50 quid for all 3

I've noticed the ignition electrode looks a bit burnt and dull where it sparks, is this normal? Think I'll pop down to the heating spares place again then!

Also, I've tried checking the resistance across the spark electrode whilst unplugged, but it just remains on '1' is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
The electrodes are quite prone to break bown electricaly which causes an open circuit on the spark generator which can in turn cause the generator to fail. Its best to replace all three for such a little cost and I would be pretty confident that this would cure your problem:)

The electrodes are quite prone to break bown electricaly which causes an open circuit on the spark generator which can in turn cause the generator to fail. Its best to replace all three for such a little cost and I would be pretty confident that this would cure your problem:)
OK, well just spoke to parts place, they have the electrode and generator but not the lead, shall i search elsewhere for lead or just try it without for now?

The old lead would probably be ok but as I said before for a small cost of 6 or 7 quid its no big deal to replace while your there. Go and ger the parts they have and post back with the good news ;)

The old lead would probably be ok but as I said before for a small cost of 6 or 7 quid its no big deal to replace while your there. Go and ger the parts they have and post back with the good news ;)
Right, just got the generator and electrode, gonna fit it now...fingers crossed!

Well, just fitted those 2 parts, and still no joy, still getting same fault code. Getting really annoyed with it now!

UPDATE*** fixed it! forgot to turn gas back on after replacing electrode and generator. Thanks for your help quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now go to the bottom of the garden and see how far you can throw the generator :D

Now go to the bottom of the garden and see how far you can throw the generator :D
:D ha ha... just a bit annoyed that I bought the pcb. But still, its the newer 'revised' one. So its not all bad.

Did you call back the guy who suggested fitting the PCB
seems to me he really missed something basic in the fact that it wasnt generating a spark. Being that the PCB is non returnable its a costly mistaka to make a

Did you call back the guy who suggested fitting the PCB
seems to me he really missed something basic in the fact that it wasnt generating a spark. Being that the PCB is non returnable its a costly mistaka to make a

No, I didn't. It was a friend of a friend, didn't charge me anything...and at least I have the 'better' revised PCB now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Icos HE18 Fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My boiler Ideal Logic 30 Combi shows flame loss error (F2 fault). Boiler is in the newly property and so far has been used just for hot water...
Replies
Views
G
Hi all! I have (not for the first time) a problem with my Ideal Icos HE12 boiler! A month or so ago I had the "FL" error code, which I think...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
P
Hi, was looking for some help and advice. My Ideal HE18 boiler has failed this morning. It will fire up and 'start' working but after approx...
Replies
Views
Chris1966
C
H
Hi, My elderly parents have just had a Ideal ICOS HE18 boiler installed, and I would like to know if its normal for the LED light to be flashing...
Replies
Views
ian macca
I
D
Hello. I'm a newbie and complete non-diyer. however, I have learned about various parts of my boiler over the past few weeks from bitter...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock