Discuss yorkshire plus solder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it make the fitting leak over time if adding extra solder ?

No, it should actually help make a good joint IMO, but you just want to add a little extra solder and not overdo it. Certainly risk of solder running inside pipes, but that is also true of end feed fittings.
If you did overheat a Yorkshire fitting, you will be at risk of a leak, so I would recommend you have a roll of lead free solder at hand. Also wire solder is good for adding flux to the joint as you heat it.

well I doubt it if anybody ever saved 100k back in the eighties on council work!! even tho I wasn't born I guess solder was even cheaper back then ! I use Yorkshire fitting at work , very handy in awkward places. but I always use end feed at my own jobs, solder always runs down pipe when using Yorkshire fitting in my opinion, would never use them In a cylinder cupboard or boiler room etc.

Like other's have said, what is the point in using more expensive Yorkshire fittings if you're going to add solder anyway? Totally defeats the point of buying them in the first place. I just use end feed unless I have to solder in a place I could only get one arm in.

Pay three times the cost of an end feed and then basically use it like an end feed fitting!

The fella I served my time with insists on Yorkshire, so I've ended up using them just out of habit, although I use both I prefer Yorkshire now, I find if you add your flux make the joint remove excess flux before soldering you don't get any runs at all

I find Yorkshire or End feed both fine to do proper neat joints.

Disadvantages of Yorkshire,
1, Generally more expensive,
2, Usually dirty inside fitting & below the solder ring
3, Internal groove breaks capillary action
5, Can't have one side soldered first if you need to do, say just a branch which would be awkward to solder in place

Advantages of Yorkshire
Handy to just heat carefully until you see solder ring around edges.
Particularily in awkward tight spot.

Disadvantages of End feed
Very few, except you have to end feed solder

Advantages of End feed
1, Cheaper
2, Can use cheaper leaded solder which is also easier to use and good for heating systems
3, Cleaner, smoother fitting inside
4, No groove inside
5, Can be soldered one end of fitting out of place

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to yorkshire plus solder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
First time posting on here and I am after some help and advice on a project I have ongoing at home - a bit cheeky I know but as they say around...
Replies
Views
T
come on lads best ways of sweeting soldering pipes then how do you do it some do it one way and some do it nuther whats your way of doing things...
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
C
Replies
Views
ecowarm
E
Y
Hi (this may be the start of a war as I've never read a plumbing book yet!) Having introduced myself in the New Members section, I'll now proceed...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
S
This post should be read in conjunction with my previous thread “so you want to be a plumber” I’ve now been in this industry for about 7 months...
Replies
Views
Plouasne
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock