Discuss Combi pilot light goes out. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pilot light goes out whenever there is a demand. The fan is working and the pressure is up to normal.
I've had someone look at it but dont have much confidence in them.
Can anyone advise?

You sure it's a pilot light not the main burner coming on and shutting off once lit? If the later could be a number of things from gas pressure to flame sensing electrode. We need the model as stated to give real advice.

You're right it's the burner not coming on and heating the water. It's a Ferroli 77FF and its about 10 years old I think, ( already in the house when we moved in ). Serial # 54728. Does this narrow it down any? Cheers.

ok what light is flashing???
need to check
pump running
fan ok
aps ok
etc etc etc you need to get an engineer to check it out it cant be diagonesed over the internet as each component incl the gas valve need to be checked
where are you located
the engineer should be checking these in sequence
also water pressure switch its is a methodical process of elimination ime afraid

Newbie thanks. All components are working as far as I can tell, fan,valve,pump etc. Just that the burners are not kicking in.

sort of, its located on the fan housing too.
is this a d.i.y repair attempt?.

why are people trying to fix their own boilers its just a recipe for disaster

I'll only replace parts if I know what I'm doing but at least I'll know what to ask for if I'm requesting a quote for the repair.

not many people have spare cash for fixing broken boilers at the moment, thats why they are attempting to fix them themselves, like this gentlemen states, he wouldnt fix it if he didnt know what he is doing. he could be a mechanic or a sparks or any other tradesman. most of us heating engineers, have related knowledge to other trades - and as for myself, i do my own electrics, building work and fix the missus car.
when your cold and short of cash you do what you have to. unfortunately playing with gas is slightly more risky and ever so much more illegal !

as for the OP if you wish to you could follow the fault finding flowchart in the manufacturers book, to help fault find, but as for testing various gas train related components, i would suggest you dont and just call your local trusted engineer.

i believe just today there is another dead bloke with poorly missus, due to a boiler problem.

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
there's nothing wrong with watching so try this.

On this boiler the fan runs at low speed at all times to maintain the pilot.Open hot water draw off tap.

The flow of water through the boiler makes the flow switch.
The fan changes to high speed and makes the fan switch.

The 24 Vdc gas valve opens and allows gas to the burner.
The main burner will light under the control of the DHW thermistor which is a PTC type, this modulates the burner via the modureg.

A DHW limit stat will shut down the burner if the thermistor fails and the temperature reaches 70°C. It will then cycle on and off as required. Should the DHW limit stat fail, the boiler overheat stat will open at 96°C and interrupt the thermocouple.
When the hot tap is closed, the burner goes off, the pump will then run for 2 seconds to clear any residual heat from the heat exchanger.
if yours is not doing so, its broken.:)

not many people have spare cash for fixing broken boilers at the moment, thats why they are attempting to fix them themselves, like this gentlemen states, he wouldnt fix it if he didnt know what he is doing. he could be a mechanic or a sparks or any other tradesman. most of us heating engineers, have related knowledge to other trades - and as for myself, i do my own electrics, building work and fix the missus car.
when your cold and short of cash you do what you have to. unfortunately playing with gas is slightly more risky and ever so much more illegal !

as for the OP if you wish to you could follow the fault finding flowchart in the manufacturers book, to help fault find, but as for testing various gas train related components, i would suggest you dont and just call your local trusted engineer.

i believe just today there is another dead bloke with poorly missus, due to a boiler problem.

good luck

i understand the short of cash thing really but when undertaking any work inside the boiler then its essential to first ensure the boiler is gas tight before and after any work
also to ensure flue is correct
air supply is correct
this is part of regs so while someone may feel able to undertake a task is it that wise
also after replacing a part should you not recommission boiler and include all safety checks
what if boiler has faulty gas valve thats something i check every time i leave a boiler
just feel too many people are delving into a boiler without all the knowledge to leave it safe after

If I can follow Redsaw's advice at least I can narrow it down if I dont come across an obvious fault that I can fix myself, cheers Redsaw.
Any further advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I agree, I understood this was a plumbers forum not a gas self help for diy, from then questions its obvious our boy knows ziltch and helping him only encourages him to break the law. If your not gas safe dont touch it and dont ask is my opinion

Hmm!

DIY repairs are the same story all the time.

People probably do it simply either to save money or to save from spending money they don't have.

Unfortunately combis seem everywhere and when they go off you loose all heat and hot water of any reasonable amount. Most houses don't seem to have an alternative heat source.

So what would you do, if the wife and kids are freezing and wanting a wash and you have no money to pay for a central heating repair person?

Don't forget ÂŁ7ph on minimum wages, is not much, to pay a bill of ÂŁ75ph or ÂŁ160 repair fees plus perhaps materials.

My approach is to tell them what is involved and whether it may be a simple fix or not. Then explain what may be involved and any dangers.

Then at least if they do decide to have a go, its better they know something and perhaps be a danger, than perhaps to have a go knowing nothing and perhaps be a bigger danger.

Lets not forget, DIY gas repairs in your own home, are not illegal, just daft and dangerous if your not a competent gas person.

Hmm!

DIY repairs are the same story all the time.

So what would you do, if the wife and kids are freezing and wanting a wash and you have no money to pay for a central heating repair person?

QUOTE]

You should send them to work down pit or up cleaning chimneys,like the good old days,to much mamby bamby these days
If you can not afford to provide food,heating , Niki trainers ,Rolf Lauren shirts ,X boxes, 32" flat screen tv's and top range laptops with interchangable coloured covers,you should not be irresponsible and bring childred into this wonderful world!:eek:

been into some right crapholes but guess what they allways seem to have plenty of cash for the **** and telly

went to a house with coats on the beds as extra blankets and a 50 inch plasma in the lounge and yes they didnt stop moaning about what it would cost to reair their boiler

Bernie2

Bernie2, a sensible attitude to my query like yours was all I was hoping for. I'm not some gung ho diy'er and was requesting info to enable me to make an informed choice, not the precious attitude of some posters.

You find that alot Steve, funniest one was with a guy who was moaning over 100 pounds i took off him for a repair on a fire, and he drove a bentley!

Re: Bernie2

If you spend 3 -4 years training learning to do a competent job then you can feel precious with ones attitude to those who are asking questions about areas they do not have sufficient knowledge or experience to work on.

I still do not comprehend why people are looking to do work themselves to save a bit of cash and risk here most valued possessions ie wife and kids,

Its time hse took a home owner to court and prove they werent competent to carry out gas work and were the cause of an accident/death and stop the stupidity that occurs on a regular basis.

Yep Im precious and rightly so

Re: Bernie2

Blo*dy right mate !! Took me years of training and experience to get hold of my gas ticket and it's precious to me too.
If anyone can work on their boilers at a risk to other people then I need'nt have bothered !!!!!
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi pilot light goes out. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi Guys, I hope you can help. Boiler: Ideal Mini C28 I will try and describe as efficiently as possible. First of all this problem is...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
J
Hi wondering if anyone can point me in right direction - I will get in a pro if needed but want to rule out easy fixes first before being hqmmered...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
T
Dear all, I'm going to preface this with the answer to the obvious question. I am not gas safe registered. Answering the second question, I do...
Replies
Views
Billy Bob Bob
B
A
Hi - We have a 10 year old+ Worchester Combi boiler. We have a problem with it where the pilot light keeps switching off. It goes for weeks...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock