Search the forum,

Discuss Worchester Boiler keeps shutting down. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andrewsti

Hi - We have a 10 year old+ Worchester Combi boiler. We have a problem with it where the pilot light keeps switching off. It goes for weeks without a problem, then we can go a whole weekend where it will not stay alight.

Last night I watched the pilot light after I re lit it, to try to attempt to diagnose the problem. After about 5 minutes the boiler started to gurgle and burp a bit then I heard something click and the pilot light went out.

Can anyone help in giving me some idea what the problem might be?

Thank in advance
Andy

sounds like it overheating probably due to lack of flow heat exchanger blocked or pump problems spring to mind

This boiler is at my girlfriends house. She informs me that the pump was changed within the last 2 years. Is there a test I could do to verify the flow? Is there a thermocouple on the heat exchanger which monitors overheating? I assume the click I hear is some sort of interlock kicking in?
Thanks

if its ten years old it wont be a thermocouple - ive changed a pump after 8 months - interlock is a word to describe the controls stopping the boiler from working to stop recycling - what your hearing is the boiler going to lockout (gas valve shutting) thisd will be as steve has said possibly down to either over heat stat (but i would rule this out if the boiler is not heating up and your only losing the pilot) or circulation problems (the pump).

best thing for you to do mate is get someone out.

Not knowing the particular model of boiler. So this is general advice about thermocouples. The pilot light is aimed at two places. One is the thermocouple tip and the other at the main burner.
If the pilot is going out followed by a click then that sounds like the gas valve going to lockout. Which is a safety feature.
If the pilot is not enveloping the "thermocouple" this lockout will occur.
That could be caused by a blockage in the gas pipe to the pilot making the flame smaller or dirt etc may have fallen onto the pilot causing it be either a smaller flame or directing the flame away from the tip of the thermocouple.
Check the area around the pilot make sure its clean. Is the tip of the thermocouple burnt out or got any small holes or generally in poor health.
If the thermocouple is burnt out it will need replacing. You need to be Gas Safe Registered to do this.

Check the area around the pilot make sure its clean. Is the tip of the thermocouple burnt out or got any small holes or generally in poor health.quote burryboy

and to do this he needs to remove the combustion door in which case he needs to be? carefull with advice m8 we have had this issue arise in the past,advice in good will can cause problems

MY BOILER IS A WOSTERSHIRE ITS BRAND NEW AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM MY PILOT LIGHT KEEPS GOING OUT WORKS TIDY THEN GOES OUT AGAIN CAN Any one help me PLEASE WITH SOME GOOD ADVICE THANK YOU VERY MUCH PEEPS

My burner led light flashes a few times then my boiler goes off its brand new can any1 help please desperate my missis is a freezer lol thanks

get an angineer out pal - she'll thank you for it - the light is going out for a safety reason - end of day - its not your missis warmth you need to think about it her safety too.

there is 1.5mbar of water pressure there when cold mate??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worchester Boiler keeps shutting down. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock