Search the forum,

Discuss Outdoor stopcock doesn't fully close in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me

Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall)

Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces the flow of water and doesn't stop it completely. Obviously this would be a real problem if we ever sprung a leak!

Before I get someone in I wondered if someone had seen one of these before? I was thinking of making sure whoever fitted it hadn't simply put the valve tap on the wrong way that is then stopping it from fully closing? I notice the head of the valve is only attached using a Philips head screw. Is it worth taking this out and putting it in the other way just in case?

The neighbour reckons whoever fitted these fitted them all Incorrectly as his doesn't work either

Any advice would be great

Many thanks
1000016998.jpg

Phone the water board up so they can dig and expose the one in the street and test it works etc

The in the wall meters and stop taps arnt the best as often the stop tap fails due to grit etc eg not shutting off etc

Problem is, I've phoned the water board and they say they have stopped using the roadside stop taps and they have no responsibility for them anymore.

I asked what would I do if I had a problem and they just said they would do a "freeze and squeeze"

Bonkers really

Unfortunately this seems to be the case with most water suppliers.
We work in 3 different water suppliers area's all are now on 'direct emergency call out to stop taps'
When I asked Yorkshire water to define dire emergency they said uncontrolled leak flowing out of house door!.

Reply to Outdoor stopcock doesn't fully close in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock