Discuss Trianco TRG 45 Eurostar Solid Fuel. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jazz Head

I had TRG 45 for 30 yrs ,no problems. The new one 18mths ago is not running the same . Any experts out there.I think the fuel is not as good( Non Clinkering Anthracite) but it seems to needs fuel to often or it will die.

I am in same situation. I have had a Trianco gravity feed boiler for some 25 years. It would run all year without going out. It worked effortlessly until about 4 months ago. Now goes out at least twice daily, total pain. Anyway, I discussed situation with my coal merchant who admitted he had changed supplier for a short period of time (had bought 2 tons of this crap stuff). I advised him I wanted no more of this crap coal. Problem sorted, or so I thought as it worked fine for a few weeks. It seems my coal merchant has been slipping me some of the crap anthracite every now and again (too get rid of it obviously). I now have a coal bunker full of **** anthracite. Only way I can use it is to keep my heating on 24/7 at a high temperature. This ensures the fan is running constantly and keeps the anthracite alight. If fan is off for more than a couple of hours the fire goes out. What an absolute pain in the arse!

:mad:As Trianco no longer exist and a help line seems to have gone any constuctive help is good, Heat leak values , boiler air settings etc.

In July, our ancient TRG60 finally expired when its water jacket rotted through. Our local heating engineer fitted a brand-new TRG, and Trianco promptly went through the hoop. Here's the rub - the anth grains left in the bunker, which the old boiler was happily using will not burn in the new boiler. I have also loaded it with beans, dry, pre-packed rather than from open bins, and it still goes out within 2-3 days.
What I have noted is :
1. No clinker, only ash - with either fuel
2. the fuel appears to remain mostly unburned (probably 60%)
3. what does burn is predominantly at the back of the grate - the fire does not spread forwards
4. Keeping the fan on by turning up the stat only makes a marginal difference to the time that it will burn
5. The fuel does not drop as readily through the regulating slot

There are two basic changes to the design that I can see - the fan is now central, and I think there is a secondary air path to the rear of the grate.
If the problem is being caused by a general degradation of the fuel, we are all sunk, because my experience of coal merchants is that they have all decided that they are in a dying business, and rather than seeking medical attention, they would rather stop breathing in the hope that their problems will go away.

Last edited by a moderator:
TR Engineering has acquired the assets from former Sheffield-based heating company Trianco Heating Products. Trianco went into administration in July following trading difficulties.

The company manufactured brands such as Aztec electric boilers, Contractor oil and, more recently, Activair air source heat pumps.

TR Engineering (backed by the Mountcity Group) was successful in its bid after several companies showed interest in acquiring the assets. The company intends to continue with the production of Trianco's existing heating ranges including oil, electric and solid fuel appliances, to complement the multi-fuel stove and oil tank business it intends to grow. The company will also hold the existing price of the Activair air source heat pumps. For sales or technical advice please call 0114 257 2300

Last edited by a moderator:
I am aware of the helpline - this has been what my installer has contacted, thus far without a positive result.

I am currently experimenting with a suggestion from my coal merchant, who said that other people who had this problem (due apparently to uneven fuel sizes...) just used the wider regulator setting than the manual suggests for the fuel grade - i.e. position 2 for grains.

I am guessing that, if more fuel falls to the back of the grate, it must force the heart of the fire forward, and slow it down.

If it is still burning when I get home tonight, it will have equalled the longest continuous burn achieved so far since the boiler was installed,and anything beyond that will be suggestive of approaching an answer. I'll keep you posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trianco TRG 45 Eurostar Solid Fuel. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hello A slightly nervous first post from a non-expert at his wits end....apologies if my terminology betrays my inexperience. I have a problem...
Replies
Views
B
hi everone , I have a old possible 15- 20 years old not sure trianco trg 45 solid fuel boiler i think,any way gravity hot water pumped heating...
Replies
Views
dod5y
D
S
Hi I am a plumber and heating engineer/drainage engineer, and now a day’s only do my own plumbing, as concentrate on clearing drains. I have a...
Replies
Views
stevenowen123
S
M
I hope someone can help me with this, I am fitting an Aarrow Stratford 7 with back boiler which has two pipe connections as it has been used for...
Replies
Views
mally46
M
D
Hi, Complete newbie but want to gain an understanding of what the problem might be before getting the pros in. Background: Solid fuel...
Replies
Views
easyt
E
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock