Discuss Copper work hardening risk in wobbly mains pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clivemason

I have a client who refuses to let me improve access to his mains stopcock so that the valve handle turns............ simply cutting away some MDF board.
Instead he just lifts the pipework by half an inch.
I worry this is setting himself up for a major crack at a nearby stress-point.
Am I being over-cautious ?
c.

No. The stopcock was never designed to have to be lifted half an inch to be operated, and so, isn't correctly fitted. The main really should be supported, and so shouldn't be able to be lifted up half an inch. Obviously would be better overall to be sorted. Copper can crack, fittings are weak spots too. could be some dodgy compression fitting just out of sight that it waiting to go. Even worse if it breaks off at the positive side of the stoptap that can only be turned off in the street

Thanks folks.
It sounds like the real solution here is to support the main in a position that seems to put it under the least stress , and only cut away MDF if that is still needed.
c.

Fit a sure stop

Easier access and simple to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Copper work hardening risk in wobbly mains pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have my mains pipe coming into the side of my house which is copper. I am going to have the adjacent wall studded out (to the left in pic)...
Replies
Views
D
I’m sorry this is long but I need to lay down the facts. I’ve been in my house for 30 years. Prior to my ownership land to the side of the house...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
C
Hi, After discovering there was no mains water this morning, I've traced the problem part of the way. Looks like the blue plastic mains is frozen...
Replies
Views
dontknowitall
D
A
Hi all, firstly I am new to forums so apologies if I dont conform to appropriate ettitues and standards... not even sure if this thread is in...
Replies
Views
migoplumber
M
P
I'm a new member, first posting, but an old (very old) hand, started plumbing in '58, after the tech school (remember them), worked with some of...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock