Discuss Urgent expert advice needed on a recently fitted gas pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abusayed

Hi all,

firstly I am new to forums so apologies if I dont conform to appropriate ettitues and standards... not even sure if this thread is in the correct area?!

Question: Is it safe to run a copper GAS pipe 22mm on an external wall??? Will it satisfy building regulations? The pipe is approx 6 inches off the ground and runs across the length of the rear external wall of the property. It is held in place by these white plastic clips.

I am worried about corrosion, damage due to weather, accidental damage by the children (for example, playing football in the back garden, etc).

Or Vandalism / Aren? - Can someone cause an explosion/fire?

Also, rather worringly the pipe runs under the kitchen backdoor and living room french doors (that go into the garden) - so there is also a danger of someone stepping on the pipe (a few mm of the pipe protrudes the doorsteps).

My builder and gas fitter insists that the pipe is safe - but I think he is just avoing some extra work.

So whats your advice? What can I do to improve the safety?

Background:
I have recently had a new small read extension built on my property to house a toilet/shower and new Vaillant combi boiler. My builder and gas fitter told me that i needed 22mm pipe instead of the 15mm for previous boiler. So rather than rip out the solid wood flooring they decided to take the gas pipe out of the property and run it along the rear external wall and into the new extension.

Hi all,

firstly I am new to forums so apologies if I dont conform to appropriate ettitues and standards... not even sure if this thread is in the correct area?!

Question: Is it safe to run a copper GAS pipe 22mm on an external wall??? Will it satisfy building regulations? The pipe is approx 6 inches off the ground and runs across the length of the rear external wall of the property. It is held in place by these white plastic clips.

I am worried about corrosion, damage due to weather, accidental damage by the children (for example, playing football in the back garden, etc).

Or Vandalism / Aren? - Can someone cause an explosion/fire?

Also, rather worringly the pipe runs under the kitchen backdoor and living room french doors (that go into the garden) - so there is also a danger of someone stepping on the pipe (a few mm of the pipe protrudes the doorsteps).

My builder and gas fitter insists that the pipe is safe - but I think he is just avoing some extra work.

So whats your advice? What can I do to improve the safety?

Background:
I have recently had a new small read extension built on my property to house a toilet/shower and new Vaillant combi boiler. My builder and gas fitter told me that i needed 22mm pipe instead of the 15mm for previous boiler. So rather than rip out the solid wood flooring they decided to take the gas pipe out of the property and run it along the rear external wall and into the new extension.

A copper pipe will probably outlive you Abusayed! even if fitted outside.
The regs state that a pipe must be fitted where there is no chance of mecanical damage, this is why I will tend to run them at high level.
I wouldnt worry too much about it, itl be reet! if a GSR engineer has done it .

you could always use screwed iron if your fretting about vandals, lots of clips. otherwise as above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Urgent expert advice needed on a recently fitted gas pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back