Search the forum,

Discuss Copper work hardening risk in wobbly mains pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clivemason

I have a client who refuses to let me improve access to his mains stopcock so that the valve handle turns............ simply cutting away some MDF board.
Instead he just lifts the pipework by half an inch.
I worry this is setting himself up for a major crack at a nearby stress-point.
Am I being over-cautious ?
c.

No. The stopcock was never designed to have to be lifted half an inch to be operated, and so, isn't correctly fitted. The main really should be supported, and so shouldn't be able to be lifted up half an inch. Obviously would be better overall to be sorted. Copper can crack, fittings are weak spots too. could be some dodgy compression fitting just out of sight that it waiting to go. Even worse if it breaks off at the positive side of the stoptap that can only be turned off in the street

Thanks folks.
It sounds like the real solution here is to support the main in a position that seems to put it under the least stress , and only cut away MDF if that is still needed.
c.

Fit a sure stop

Easier access and simple to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Copper work hardening risk in wobbly mains pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have my mains pipe coming into the side of my house which is copper. I am going to have the adjacent wall studded out (to the left in pic) and therefore want to hide the mains pipe behind it and put on a low profile stop tap in which can be accessible via a flap or something. There is an...
Replies
Views
D
I wonder if anyone can help, I've tried several plumbers merchants to no avail. I have removed an old stopcock, (which seized long ago, with a newer stopcock just above) as it had been leaking from several places, mainly at the bottom where it joined the 3/4" threaded female end on rising main...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with an old stopcock (40 years?) fitted on the old alkathene supply pipe. This is in a property owned by an elderly friend and the stopcock has been leaking from the spindle for many months. Despite several attempts to pack out the gland with PTFE the valve continues to leak. My...
Replies
Views
D
I’m sorry this is long but I need to lay down the facts. I’ve been in my house for 30 years. Prior to my ownership land to the side of the house was sold to the builder next door to expand his three bed house into a four with double garage rather than single. This left my incoming mains under...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
O
Hi all! Done the course now trying to replace bathroom. However, have found a mystery 15mm copper pipe that goes from kitchen via bathroom and into loft. It has nothing coming off it (no taps etc) and i cannot access the other end of it in the loft (which disappears into a 22mm pipe). It's...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock