Discuss Is there a plumbers trick for working out what is in a pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys!

Well, i couldn't wait so yesterday before i got a reply i turned off everything and sliced the pipe. Turned water on, nothing coming, turned gas on, whoosh! So, it's gas.

I cut back the pipe into the loft, then wire-woolled the end and covered everything in boss white. Stuck a compression stopend on and tested it 3 times with some washing up liquid to see if there were any bubbles. Touch wood all seems fine!

The strange thing is the amount of gas pipe work in the loft - maybe originally it had gas fires everywhere as it has pipes going everywhere.

Ol

If you aren't 100% sure if you have drained the right pipe (EXCEPT if there may be a gas pipe there), have a self tapping screw handy, drill a hole in the pipe before you go at it with the pipe slice, and if water pors out, drive a self tapper into the hole wrapped with PTFE tape as a temporary plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is there a plumbers trick for working out what is in a pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock