Discuss Plumber did not commission boiler in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Well if he left it usable by a customer he is wrong for doing it. Obviously I haven't seen it so I can't assess the dangers.

The flue not being sealed could be a gas safety issue as well as leaving a boiler usable but uncommissioned.

What I am asking is, how would he view it? He might see it that he hadn't finished the job and you got someone else. In my eyes, someone else taking over means exactly that.

Personally I would have left it capped off from gas and disconnected from electricity and with none-commissioned appliance label on it if I were leaving it length of time in that condition.

As far as Gas safe are concerned though, the PRV missing 'could', cause injury or damage to property but is it a Gas safety issue? I don't think so.

I am by no means defending someone who I do not know over a job I have not seen, I just think that involving Gas safe could lead to more trouble than it is worth. In my opinion you would be better where relatives and friends are concerned, discussing it face to face to resolve it or moving on and putting it down to bad experience.

Bodies such as Gas safe, HSE etc, will only investigate to the letter of the law where they are concerned, if that makes sense.
Like I say, I don’t particularly want to involve them if I can help it. I’d quite happily chalk it up to a lesson learned and just pay someone else to finish it and commission it.

Problem is my new plumber really isn’t keen to do so. We do have a good relationship, so if I push the fact I have no choice he might do it, but he might not.

At that point, what other options do I have?

Like I say, I don’t particularly want to involve them if I can help it. I’d quite happily chalk it up to a lesson learned and just pay someone else to finish it and commission it.

Problem is my new plumber really isn’t keen to do so. We do have a good relationship, so if I push the fact I have no choice he might do it, but he might not.

Broadly speaking GSR's are not permitted to 'commission' another's work. This is a rule designed to prevent abuse, which was an issue in the past, by firms employing one GSR engineer to 'sign off' as a formality the work of unqualified installers.

So, worst case, you'll have to get someone to 'reinstall' the boiler. Make it clear that you understand that you will need to pay for, say, a couple of days labour (to give time for everything to be checked carefully and redone if necessary) and you may find your usual plumber will be okay with taking on the work.

If this case were not complicated by 'friendship factors' you would recover your costs from the contractor who did not complete their work using the small claims court if necessary.

Broadly speaking GSR's are not permitted to 'commission' another's work. This is a rule designed to prevent abuse, which was an issue in the past, by firms employing one GSR engineer to 'sign off' as a formality the work of unqualified installers.

So, worst case, you'll have to get someone to 'reinstall' the boiler. Make it clear that you understand that you will need to pay for, say, a couple of days labour (to give time for everything to be checked carefully and redone if necessary) and you may find your usual plumber will be okay with taking on the work.

If this case were not complicated by 'friendship factors' you would recover your costs from the contractor who did not complete their work using the small claims court if necessary.
Thanks, I think that was the answer I was looking for - asking them to “reinstall” rather than commission it.

At this point I honestly don’t even care if it costs me a few hundred quid, I’m tired of renovating this house and want it finished lol

I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in.

You can only hope he will take it on. Psychology has a lot to do with it, as in how this is viewed by Plumber 2.

It sounds like he has done more than Plumber 1 anyway.

We all take on other peoples work on a daily basis but it is with the understanding that it is an existing installation. i.e. we didn't install it and as far as we can tell, it tests out to be safe & sound. We all come across dangerous things and poor workmanship regularly but take no responsibility for it. Plumber 2 knows the story and has suspicions that things aren't right which is where the reluctance comes in.

Maybe he would see it different if it was all logged?
Who knows? it is his decision at the end of the day and if he doesn't want it, you can only try others.

Reply to Plumber did not commission boiler in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock