Search the forum,

Discuss Internally shallower 3/4" Iron fitting needed, and weep on 3/4 female nut on main. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 123633

I wonder if anyone can help, I've tried several plumbers merchants to no avail. I have removed an old stopcock, (which seized long ago, with a newer stopcock just above) as it had been leaking from several places, mainly at the bottom where it joined the 3/4" threaded female end on rising main.

I've replaced the newer stopcock above with a brand new one, and piped down to the top of the main pipe. Then connected it using a brass 3/4 iron male to 15mm pipe compression fitting.

The male fitting screwed nicely into the female 3/4 nut on the end of the supply pipe. However, when tightened, it is still wobbly because the internal narrowing in the brass fitting is too deep in the fitting, and when tightening the female nut , the ledge isn't reached, so nothing to tighten against.

This is because on the end of my supply pipe is a fixed ridge or lip which the female nut pulls on as tightened (rather than an olive which naturally slides in to the correct position as tightened). This means I need a much shallower brass fitting to be able to tighten it up, and also with a smaller inside diameter.

I have temporarily got around this using two O rings seated in the bottom of the inside of the new brass fitting, which both makes it internally shallower and reduces the diameter, and all can be tightened and water is back on.

But, not surprisingly. there is a weep coming from the bottom of the old female 3/4" nut. I've tried PTFE and also Boss white but still the weep. I understand why the weep is there.

Firstly - does anyone know of a 3/4 male iron fitting with a much shallower internal depth and also a smaller internal diameter?

This would replace my temporary standard one and the O rings. However it may still weep from the bottom of the old female iron nut, since the stopcock I removed had the correct (shallower) fitting on it but still wept from the bottom of the nut.

I would like to replace the female nut on the end of the main, but can't because of the lip. It may be possible to cut off the lip and then fit a standard compression fitting with and olive so it can tighten up fully, as a standard brass fitting.

Trouble is , the pipe looks like iron, and in any case below the lip may not be 15mm, though it looks close, and I can't try any (brass) olives or fittings as the lip is there. Also cant get in to cut it, as we are at ground level. (could be done if it was copper with a small pipe cutter) . And the pipe end it has that strong lip for good reason!

Is there any way around this other than cutting the pipe below the end?

Is there a way to stop the weep from the bottom of the female nut?

Please see photos. All help would be appreciated very much !

Pics show
1 - the female 3/4 nut on end of main, with fixed 'lip' and old stopcock still in place
2 - the new 3/4 iron - 15mm fitting in place
3 - the bottom of the old stopcock. Need 3/4 inch fitting which is shallower internally, like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0895.png
    IMG_0895.png
    461.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0896.png
    IMG_0896.png
    469.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0898.jpeg
    IMG_0898.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 14
Probably one for the more experienced, but thats a lead main coming in, so the fitting may not be 3/4”. Where did you get the fitting from so we know not to link to that one?

Use a dremel and a carbide bit just to hone it out a bit a d then use a fibre washer between the two mating surfaces if the new coupling isn’t sitting down on the old fitting

Or you can cut the upstand off and use a 3/4 fibre washer (will be brass)

Looks like your attempting to put a plain 3/4 mi onto a tapered cone end . I would personally try to extract the other part of the union fitting as in third pic then work of the 1/2:in Male end. Bit of heat on the old fitting should help take it apart.

Reply to Internally shallower 3/4" Iron fitting needed, and weep on 3/4 female nut on main. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock