Discuss Ccn1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you certainly do not. I did my CCN1 and appliances in the summer as did the rest of the lads in my college class who had been doing a gas nvq level 2 with me 2 days a week and I was the only one who worked in the industry. They just went on a 36 week course without having done a days work on gas in their lives. We built a portfolio and did assessments at college, they just had to find somewhere to do their on-site assessments for one day, they all went to my house and got it done at the same time, and it wasn't an assessment, just picture taking with cooker, fire and boiler. They are all eligable to be gas safe registered now having passed their ACS and Gas NVQ level 2. The course only cost around 800 quid plus the ACS, many got it funded too, most were unemployed previously.

wow is this true? so you mean i slugged my guts out in the rain doing down pipes and gutters and on freezing building sites with 4 jumpers and 3 t shirts on as well as 4 pair of socks for 4 years to get my plumbing and in turn get what really matters the gas qualification wow if I knew this then

No you certainly do not. I did my CCN1 and appliances in the summer as did the rest of the lads in my college class who had been doing a gas nvq level 2 with me 2 days a week and I was the only one who worked in the industry. They just went on a 36 week course without having done a days work on gas in their lives. We built a portfolio and did assessments at college, they just had to find somewhere to do their on-site assessments for one day, they all went to my house and got it done at the same time, and it wasn't an assessment, just picture taking with cooker, fire and boiler. They are all eligable to be gas safe registered now having passed their ACS and Gas NVQ level 2. The course only cost around 800 quid plus the ACS, many got it funded too, most were unemployed previously.
I do not know how they got away with that.
I thought at the bare minimum you had to have a portfolio made of around 30 jobs of some evidence of you getting on the job training on various appliances/systems. At least you would have some experience of gas work and systems.

If this is the standard they are setting now, these gas qualifications are becoming a joke.

yes I agree, I'm afraid it's true, I did a full plumbing apprenticeship level 2 6129 and 6089 but nowhere local did level 3 so ended up going on this gas course as was the easiest way to build the gas portfolio and pass the ACS. They boast a 94% pass rate in their ACS center on their website. I think they roll out around 150 people from this course straight onto the gas register, I'd say 5% have any previous experience.
I'm on the gas level 3 nvq now just one day a week whilst working on the industry with my dads business like I have done for nearly 7 years. I get phone calls every week from mates on my course who are out their gas safe registered touching gas appliances in the real world for the first time.

http://www.southport-college.ac.uk/Courses/detail.asp?leaflet=3371
click on gas accreditation for info on their ACS Center too. I don't want to slag them off, it's been great for me, their nvqs level 2 and 3 are very in-depth. I just don't agree on those getting on the gas safe register without previous experience like these guys do. Had to tell a gas safe registered mate what jointing paste was before...

Last edited by a moderator:
on mine you had to have in centre assesments very strict then go out on site with gsr person for minimum of 250 days doing 60 jobs or more, no less than 60 ,boiler installs count as 2 and everything has to be right tightness tests ,gas rate ,burner pressure no cutting corners cos they like you then you have assesments all by the book i met a lad in city plumbing who was passed on fires but new nothing about them spillage tests flue flow etc didnt no how to fit one all a bit scary when its peoples lives imagin him on a flueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ccn1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Over the past 3 years I have studied, completed and obtained a Level 3 NVQ in Gas Utilisation. It is ACS aligned and recognised by Gas...
Replies
Views
ive just changed a boiler for a landlord job finished and registered with gas safe now the landlords have told the customer that they have to have...
Replies
Views
M
I have passed my ACS, ccn1, cookers, fires, boilers, water heaters, cpa1. I've been installing boilers with my dad for 6 years (he is gas safe...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
A
Hello all - just registered hoping someone can help me with a bit of a quandary. I'm not a tradesman nor do I wish to DIY anything connected with...
Replies
Views
kirkgas
K
A
Hi, Im still on a learning curve here and would appreciate a little info on servicing procedure / landlords safety check for Gas hobs / cookers...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock