Discuss Are pushfits any good, copper or plastic pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried JG a few times, and must sat I think they're one "gogo good good" fitting easy, and always if you make get any mistakes are always easy reassembled. Plus the one thing I must rememberd here is always use a pipe support fitting for the pipe being used. So if you were to be using H2o pipe and a JG coupling, use the recommended steel H2o pipe insert.

Dont even think about using a JG fitting with a Hep pipe - thins is the one no no!

Use a compression fitting to joint the 2, as that is universal but use the correct inserts, as per the manufacturers instructions!

Just had three of them leak on one job. I, for one, will be going back to copper only for installs where the fittings are not accessable.

Never have any problems with brass compression fittings. Just these cheep plastic pushfits with o-rings for seals. Quite possibly the worst idea for CH systems in my opinion.

I bought a whole organiser worth of HEP2O fittings about 2½ years ago. Hardly used anything from it in that time and I've never bought plastic pipe. That said, I've fitted it and it's simple under floors - but I spent good money learning how to solder and I prefer end feed.

Nothing against push fit - the JG stop ends are REALLY useful as you can turn the customer's house water on early on in a job or if cutting through a pipe and you're not sure if there's another radiator on the system that's going to break an air lock.

Plastic plumbing's really good but me? I prefer copper.

nothing wrong with JG fittings, if the correct inserts are used . . . .

Dont use any other brand though!

What about these stories of pushfits blowing off if not pressure tested to 10bar?

at my old firm we had the hep rep out as alot of lads were making cock ups with it, they said when you pressure test it the grab rings dig into the pipe, rather difficult removing them with the correct tools once pressure tested. but my boss did specify pressure testing to 18bar was rather scary sitting under all the pipework creaking away

Pushfits and plastic have their place - try putting in underfloor heating in copper! All joints will leak if not properly done, you have to follow the manufacturers instructions exactly. Solder is great if everything as absolutely clean and fluxed and the blow lamp does not set fire to woodwork (every year a few houses burn down due to the action of plumbers) mind you the lead free solder is not as easy to work with as good old 60:40. Compression are good when tightened properly and using the correct olives with the correct nuts. Plastics are easy to fit in retrofit runs but again they have to be fitted correctly. My gripe is that they creak as the water pressure changes in the system - I've had someone say they thought they had a mouse in their bedroom and it was the plastic piping to the vanity unit moving a little everytime someone used water in the house. Plastic also suffers less from condensation and the long runs mean fewer joints. The big doubt for me is what the seals will be like in 25 years - soldered copper goes on for ever.

Pushfits are simple and easy connections, but where they fail is that in most cases a change of direction requires a fitting. The large pushfit fittings all grouped together look terrible. I've bent barrier pipe on a bending machine, but generally it doesn't retain it's intended shape. I'm a big fan of Speedfit though and I use it quite a lot, but it's becoming expensive even compared to copper, so both systems have their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are pushfits any good, copper or plastic pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

G
Hi, I have just joined the forum, and hope you can help me with a problem. I am a DIYer but have done a bit of plumbing over the years! I am...
Replies
Views
wheeto
W
H
Hi I'm in the middle of changing my sink in the cloakroom, sink on waste connected everything seemed to be going well until! There are hot and...
Replies
Views
fdf21
F
I
Hi everyone Your help and expertise is very much appreciated, here's a picture to help. It's under my kitchen sink and the Copper pipes are...
Replies
Views
Plamber
P
J
Hi; first post and I am a newbie. I am fitting my own kitchen using a pre made plan. i have bought a Howdens Kitchen and along one wall from...
Replies
Views
PLUMB111
P
H
Hi there - I have a problem with a flexipipe connection for a bathroom tap (tall chrome job for use with bowl-shaped basin that sits on a vanity...
Replies
Views
Platinum
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock