Discuss anyone worked on a meter exchange contract? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jono44

Hello to all who read this. If anyone has or knows of anyone who has contracted for a utiliies company doing meter changes- I'd like to hear what they thought.
I have been put forward to contract for Carillion and the going rate is £19 per unit once 49 unit have been done. I also have to go on a six day induction with pretty much only my cost covered (so will be losing work that week).
Any input would be appreciated on anything re: meter contracts or inductions - ie: the induction exams.
Many thanks,
Jon.

I

to be honest i defy anyone to safely exchange a meter and carry out all requirements and still do enough in a day its got to be 30mins a unit at least and unless the houses are next door to each other i woild say prob 45mins a unit
you should be doing a tightness and let by test before and after so thats 8mins before you even lift a spanner

are you saying you dont get paid untill youve done 49 units ?im interested to know the details as i was considering it as well tho not contacted them yet

i blve they pay you 7.50 a unit up to 49 units then u get the premium rate but thats nearly 10 units a day befor you reach the premium
factor in houses are going to be spread out due not everyone is in during the day and i thing its a preety poor rate of pay

No.
You get paid 18 per meter upto 48 meters, but if you exchange 49 or more you get 19 per unit for all of them - that's the incentive to get stuck in!
Other companies offer different rates depending on whether you are self employed and have your own vehicle etc etc or if they supply you with all that sort of gear you get a lower rate (makes sense).Some offer basic + set price per unit and bonus, but I am going for the first one I mentioned.
Just really wondering if anyone has sat the induction week (what they thought) and roughly how they went on an average crappy day!

Ps. Steve the plumber - if you are interested in contacting the angency that I am going through you can let me know and we can go through it in a bit more detail via e-mail.
Jon.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i was looking on jobs plus website and the cheapskates are only offering 7.50 a unit which is a joke

No worries mate. What you probably have seen though is 7.50 per unit plus a basic wage of somewhere arond 300.

meter changes, are along side with national grid, they dont have to test instalations, just change meter, and cap off. so it only takes as long as undoing an redoing 2 nuts. most national grid guys i know are only qualified for meters, lacking the acs "qualifications" to legally be able to test a domestic property.
because of that, they change the meter and tofo.

shaun

I am looking to get involved in moling/pipe cracking in new domestic gas service pipes,

So this thread is interesting,

I used to be corgi but moved away from gas a few years back (mainly because of the
bureaucracy) and since have focused on drain lining and drain replacement as a
consiquence the kit we own lends itself to installing any kind of under ground service,

Any one got any suggestions, might consider a joint venture,
We are located in Bromley,

Bob

Hi Jon
How did you get on with the Carillion Meter interview? I heard they make you sit an Exam and do a short pipework exercise! Any info would be a great help as I'm going on an interview this week! Really need the work!
Thanks
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to anyone worked on a meter exchange contract? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
migoplumber
M
A
Got a visit from my Gas provider today. Previous correspondence from him has hinted that my meter may need some modification as the gas feed goes...
Replies
Views
Mbear
M
B
been to look at a gas pipe job today and the boiler will be 9m away from the meter and there is a fire and a hob .so when calculating the gas...
Replies
Views
buckley plumb
B
A
Recently received a worrying note from our gas provider regarding the potentially dangerous state of our meter. The gas feed from the meter, which...
Replies
Views
Puddle
P
J
Hi folks, this is my 1st post here so please be gentle as I know nothing about boilers (well not the gas type anyway :D) I have an old 45 60b...
Replies
Views
buckley plumb
B
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock