Discuss Fixing Bath to Concrete Floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Have just spent 2 hours trying to drill fixing holes in a concrete floor today without success. Using an 850W Dewalt Hammer Drill with Carbide concrete drill bit. Can't drill a hole deep enough to fit a rawl plug in. Thus, I can't fix the spreaders to the floor with screws, so I've had to use grab adhesive.

I was out of options, so I've put wood spreaders under all legs, battons under the bath at both ends. I've siliconed between the bath and the wall at both ends too. I've fixed the spreaders to the concrete with grab adhesive and am now leaving it to dry for 24 hours. Feet are all screwed into the spreaders.

Has anyone else had to do this before, i.e. not been able to drill the concrete under the bath?

Anyone got any better ideas?

a decent drill for the job i think.
never found concrete thqt cant get through with a 6kg sds+.

why on earth do you need spreaders on a concrete floor anyhow?????????.

but thats how i would have done it.

I always put spreaders on, just to raise the legs and thus make the bath more stable basically.

Also, with the grab adhesive idea, there's much more contact area than just gluing the feet down.

Perhaps the drill wasn't good enough!

I always put spreaders on, just to raise the legs and thus make the bath more stable basically.

Also, with the grab adhesive idea, there's much more contact area than just gluing the feet down.

Perhaps the drill wasn't good enough!
must be your drill ive drilled concrete many times using corded and cordless drills i assume your using a drill with normal chuck which is a nightmare the bits just aint upto it get an sds 2kg either batery or corded the bits are somuch better and no slip
i agree with the spreaders to stabilise the bath fully extended legs wobble i also always batten the wall below the rim

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

It was a 2kg SDS hammer drill (corded). A Dewalt one. Doesn't have any problem drilling through bricks and concrete normally. Anyway, got in today and the spreaders are stuck to the concrete a treat, they won't be coming off any time soon.

I was using a normal chuck adaptor though, it may well have been the slippage you're chatting about that stopped me drilling the holes.

Agree about battening under the rim of the bath too, learnt that one the hard way when installing a cheap rubbish B&Q bath!

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

It was a 2kg SDS hammer drill (corded). A Dewalt one. Doesn't have any problem drilling through bricks and concrete normally. Anyway, got in today and the spreaders are stuck to the concrete a treat, they won't be coming off any time soon.

I was using a normal chuck adaptor though, it may well have been the slippage you're chatting about that stopped me drilling the holes.

Agree about battening under the rim of the bath too, learnt that one the hard way when installing a cheap rubbish B&Q bath!

I think you'll find putting a normal chuck adapter in a dewalt sds stops the hammer action, it does on mine anyway. Just use an sds masonry bit.

Eco

as said concrete is easy with a quality sds,but battens, and silicone when the bath is full will give additional stability

try using a new drill bit, and your yellow black and decker might work better

The battern is the more important fixing imo, if youve got that fixed well and then l braketed/ screwd the bath to that is going nowhere.

^^^ Agree above. vileroy and boch baths don't come with any fixings for the floor, as if the battons are 100% secure and the bath is siliconed to them, its going nowhere"!

Also agree with above. What's needed is a good quality SDS masonary bit. Get the right drill bit and you will get through concrete.

And if the floor is tiled and you want to get through it with an anchor bolt then we suggest removing a core from the tile with our diamond drill bits first.

You can then drill through the fitted tile and into the concrete to fix your anchor. We did this recently at an airport where they wanted to bolt down a cash point terminal without disturbing the tiles.

drillingtiles2.jpg
The anchor bolt (on the left shown fitted into its 14mm rawl plug) can be fitted through a tile into a concrete floor.

I know this post is about drilling concrete floors to fit a bath so I just thought I would add our expertise if other readers of this post wanted to do the same but the floor had been pretiled.

tile_trowel2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fixing Bath to Concrete Floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About a year ago I had a a big renovation done (using professionals) and this included new central heating, plumbing and bathroom. 2 jobs I had...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
365drills
I manage to get around it when it happens by moving the fixing or hammering in a large wall plug or screw - but what actually is it that happens...
Replies
Views
Billy Bob Bob
B
So you have some fancy porcelain tiles on the job and you think you can just angle grind your way through it to make holes. Right Idea? Well at...
Replies
Views
365drills
Hi All, Fitted one of these about six weeks ago, was a nice job (thankfully in a bungalow, concrete floor as its a touch on the heavy side), if a...
Replies
Views
adrianfs1
A
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock