Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing Bath to Concrete Floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Have just spent 2 hours trying to drill fixing holes in a concrete floor today without success. Using an 850W Dewalt Hammer Drill with Carbide concrete drill bit. Can't drill a hole deep enough to fit a rawl plug in. Thus, I can't fix the spreaders to the floor with screws, so I've had to use grab adhesive.

I was out of options, so I've put wood spreaders under all legs, battons under the bath at both ends. I've siliconed between the bath and the wall at both ends too. I've fixed the spreaders to the concrete with grab adhesive and am now leaving it to dry for 24 hours. Feet are all screwed into the spreaders.

Has anyone else had to do this before, i.e. not been able to drill the concrete under the bath?

Anyone got any better ideas?

a decent drill for the job i think.
never found concrete thqt cant get through with a 6kg sds+.

why on earth do you need spreaders on a concrete floor anyhow?????????.

but thats how i would have done it.

I always put spreaders on, just to raise the legs and thus make the bath more stable basically.

Also, with the grab adhesive idea, there's much more contact area than just gluing the feet down.

Perhaps the drill wasn't good enough!

I always put spreaders on, just to raise the legs and thus make the bath more stable basically.

Also, with the grab adhesive idea, there's much more contact area than just gluing the feet down.

Perhaps the drill wasn't good enough!
must be your drill ive drilled concrete many times using corded and cordless drills i assume your using a drill with normal chuck which is a nightmare the bits just aint upto it get an sds 2kg either batery or corded the bits are somuch better and no slip
i agree with the spreaders to stabilise the bath fully extended legs wobble i also always batten the wall below the rim

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

It was a 2kg SDS hammer drill (corded). A Dewalt one. Doesn't have any problem drilling through bricks and concrete normally. Anyway, got in today and the spreaders are stuck to the concrete a treat, they won't be coming off any time soon.

I was using a normal chuck adaptor though, it may well have been the slippage you're chatting about that stopped me drilling the holes.

Agree about battening under the rim of the bath too, learnt that one the hard way when installing a cheap rubbish B&Q bath!

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

It was a 2kg SDS hammer drill (corded). A Dewalt one. Doesn't have any problem drilling through bricks and concrete normally. Anyway, got in today and the spreaders are stuck to the concrete a treat, they won't be coming off any time soon.

I was using a normal chuck adaptor though, it may well have been the slippage you're chatting about that stopped me drilling the holes.

Agree about battening under the rim of the bath too, learnt that one the hard way when installing a cheap rubbish B&Q bath!

I think you'll find putting a normal chuck adapter in a dewalt sds stops the hammer action, it does on mine anyway. Just use an sds masonry bit.

Eco

as said concrete is easy with a quality sds,but battens, and silicone when the bath is full will give additional stability

try using a new drill bit, and your yellow black and decker might work better

The battern is the more important fixing imo, if youve got that fixed well and then l braketed/ screwd the bath to that is going nowhere.

^^^ Agree above. vileroy and boch baths don't come with any fixings for the floor, as if the battons are 100% secure and the bath is siliconed to them, its going nowhere"!

Also agree with above. What's needed is a good quality SDS masonary bit. Get the right drill bit and you will get through concrete.

And if the floor is tiled and you want to get through it with an anchor bolt then we suggest removing a core from the tile with our diamond drill bits first.

You can then drill through the fitted tile and into the concrete to fix your anchor. We did this recently at an airport where they wanted to bolt down a cash point terminal without disturbing the tiles.

drillingtiles2.jpg
The anchor bolt (on the left shown fitted into its 14mm rawl plug) can be fitted through a tile into a concrete floor.

I know this post is about drilling concrete floors to fit a bath so I just thought I would add our expertise if other readers of this post wanted to do the same but the floor had been pretiled.

tile_trowel2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fixing Bath to Concrete Floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock