Discuss Baxi 100 HE overheats and melts heat exchanger - an explanation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheGasEngineer

Overheating Baxi 100 HE condensing boiler.

First of all switch that boiler off. It's DANGEROUS!! read on...

If you have met a Baxi 100 HE with a melted combustion chamber it’s caused by perished glue allowing the burner ceramic to lift and cause furnace-like volumes of gas/air mixture to enter the combustion chamber.

The ceramic face only becomes loose when it gets hot. When it does become loose it lifts and the fan responds by pumping a vastly greater volume of gas/air mixture into the combustion chamber. For the boiler I have just been investigating the working pressure dropped 3mb which indicates the increase in gas rate. I couldn’t measure the gas rate at the meter because it had overheated well before I could get there.

What seems to happen is the glue begins to fail and little by little the ceramic lifts - maybe over several weeks. So the boiler starts to run hot and I guess this contributes to the failure of the manifold O-ring and maybe even the flow switch. If you think about it, if there is overheating, it must be excess gas. It can't be anything else. The problem is that once the boiler shuts down the ceramic drops back onto its seat, the glue solidifies and amazingly it looks to all intents and purposes like a perfectly serviceable component.

The boiler overheats enough to melt and distort all the lower parts of combustion chamber aluminum and wreck the door seals - it cinders them. Then it overheats and shuts down usually via the fan stat. On stopping, the ceramic then drops back into the metal burner base. When it’s cool enough to handle the ceramic it's held rigidly in place again, sitting there all innocently.

About a year ago I was called to a 100HE and the sump of the
combustion chamber and 2 to 3 inches of the lower side walls had melted. It was a mess. I couldn’t think how sufficient gas had entered the combustion chamber to get so hot. Of course the ceramic element was sitting there looking secure in the pressed steel base.

A 100HE kept me baffled for a week. The flow switch had failed and the lower manifold was leaking just to add to the confusion. When to door came off the seals had gone but not cindered. I fitted new ones and left it running. This time it seriously overheated and melted the sump base. I thought I had not put the seals on properly causing the overheat. I talked to Baxi technical but they hadn't a clue. With a new base, flow switch and manifold O-ring in place the boiler overheated again (Arrrrgh!!). It quickly became red hot inside and it roared noisily. I didn't know what the roar was. There was some damage but not too much and so I ran it up again and watched very carefully. Initially the flame looked as it always had from cold - blue and fairly quiet (almost normal). And then bit-by-bit it started to roar and the internals of the combustion chamber turned cherry red. Then in an instant as it was really overheating I happened to see the ceramic lift. I couldn’t believe it at first but then it stuck half out and when it cooled down there it was, jammed solid but at an angle and finally revealing the problem.

I find it shocking that Baxi haven't recognised this fault. From what I see there are multitudes of these boiler breaking down like this and they could be salvaged just by replacing the burner every three years. It just needs Baxi to admit it and put out a general warning. I think a warning is necessary because it's a fire-bomb waiting to happen.

I rang Baxi tech support and really pressed them about the excess heat and they didn't have a clue. There was not one suggestion or offer of help or any interest at all. I told him about the low working pressure and he said this would seriously affect the performance of the gas valve. Rubbish!! Actually this is where the zero governor is a pain - as soon as the flow restriction of the ceramic was lowered (when the ceramic lifted off its seat) the flow rate through the fan rose exponentially and the valve just increased the flow of gas to match resulting in an inferno in the combustion chamber. If that is not a design fault then I don't know what is...

So if you service the Baxi 100 HE range (or any boiler that uses that burner) I suggest it's replace every third service.

and i suggest that if BAXI dont want to know then the HSE should be informed , pronto !!!!!!!!!!!!!

baxi also buried there head in the sand over the bahama ,the sit version would melt if thr water pressure dropped

I had one yesterday in a 50he ceramic had lifted from the burner at an angle forcing the gas to the back of the combustion chamber and exploding on ignition in the condensate trap , blowing out then starting again , just like a 21 gun salute scary !

I ripped out a baxi 133 he combi after 18mnths because the ceramic burner had lifted off accompanied by explosive ignition., it was on the 12th of december 2008, baxi didnt have a new burner in the uk till after xmas. Vaillant 831 has been in since good as gold. After this incident and a few other quality issuses with 105 he s I swore Id never fit another Baxi product, I have fitted a couple of A rated mains combi which the custard has supplied and they seem to be good, totaly different design.oh and the grey stuff in the condense trap, well thats only the aluminuim heat exchanger slowly being digested.

Have changed quite a few of these burners, on a couple of boilers had the new ones not lasting long at all. Most of the customers have now new boilers Worcester Bosch or Remeha's.

I ripped out a baxi 133 he combi after 18mnths because the ceramic burner had lifted off accompanied by explosive ignition., it was on the 12th of december 2008, baxi didnt have a new burner in the uk till after xmas. Vaillant 831 has been in since good as gold. After this incident and a few other quality issuses with 105 he s I swore Id never fit another Baxi product, I have fitted a couple of A rated mains combi which the custard has supplied and they seem to be good, totaly different design.oh and the grey stuff in the condense trap, well thats only the aluminuim heat exchanger slowly being digested.
tbh 205 baxi 105e/he fitted excellent boilers but this shed the 100,133,solo *******lona etc are just tat i dont think its fair to drag the 105 into this it is the daddy of combis sadly its brother is a shed

Last edited by a moderator:
tbh 205 baxi 105e/he fitted excellent boilers but this shed the 100,133,solo *******lona etc are just tat i dont think its fair to drag the 105 into this it is the daddy of combis sadly its brother is a shed

Mark you like these boilers too much lol, I liked the original ocean er sorry 105e but not the 105he. Mark put down your 1980s Rose west style tinted react-to-light glasses.:p

its a good combi for me anyway i give contracts on these and they pay well admittedly the conden heat exchanger is ****e so is the ap switch position what issues are you having with these boilers bcg?,anyway the popularity of this boiler is holding back the introduction of the new 105, baxi have loads left to clear and btw i dont have rose west glasses they come from specsavers so cost a mint(if i needed them)

I like the 105e, simple to fix, cheap to fix, easy to service, reliable too albiet Ive had a couple of lemons, I fitted loads of these in the late 90s early noughties I loved them, I just think things have moved on, the difference between say a viessmann 200 series and a 105 is night and day, ok you could argue that they do the same job ie give hot water and heating but things like lambda sensors, weather comp etc etc is so much more exciting.
All the 105s, 80s I look at all have signs of leaks around the connectors btw?. Harold Shipman Varifocals everyday for me.

i am sure it was a 105e with a preheat that i walked away from as i was getting a 5th neon light coming on and baxi didnt now what the problem was, saying that they had the boiler doing a cylinder ,and a load of underfloor heating on a filthy system

i suspect you are both right I dont usually walk away from a job but i replaced the pump and a few other things and it was for an owner of an estate agent, after talking to baxi numerous times and they could not explain this fault,i told the customer to get a BG contract as there were to many problems, I was gutted but didnt charge the customer

I think is the overriding issue with this burner is when it's in a boiler with a 1:1 govenor in particular there is the potential for furnace-like conditions that destroy the boiler. There should be a national recall or compulsory refurb. A fault that can cause and aluminium block to melt is dangerous beyond belief. The only thing between the property and an inferno is the fan stat.

When the ceramic lifts, there is obviously a significant drop in burner flow resistance and the fan responds by pumping a vast increase in air. And the 1:1 valve responds likewise to give a perfect gas / air mixture, resulting in a furnace.

It must be feasible to add a function to the pcb that detects a drop in load on the fan and shuts it down and prevents it lighting.

you are very clued up and with what you have found and i would suggest you take some pics and utube it

That's a good idea. I could dress and present like Sir Patrick Moore -loads of arm waving and squinted looks - and maybe a garage demonstration of the burner turning into a flamethrower ... Boom... LOL :)

I had the same problem but i saw the burner lifting
before any damage was caused - Just the noise was a worry. I know it doesn't comply but a little fire cement around the edge of the ceramic burner has been enough to hold it in position and stop the explosion on start up.

so whats the answer to this new burner ? as i have been to view baxi combi 80 he plus tonight and it is giving off same faults - explosive ignition, and then when it does light the boiler ramps up and gets to point that i need to stop fan goes louder and flames more fierce.

so whats the answer to this new burner ? as i have been to view baxi combi 80 he plus tonight and it is giving off same faults - explosive ignition, and then when it does light the boiler ramps up and gets to point that i need to stop fan goes louder and flames more fierce.
change the boiler its useless and i wont fit the solo HE or work on one ever

so its not fixable with a new burner - im not sure they have enough money for a new boiler ?

If your boiler has the burner with a ceramic plate or the old one with the cloth-like burner that pulls lose and allows more combustion mixture into the combustion chamber, then you with get lots of combustion problems. In order to explain such a problem it is a case of relying on what we know about boilers. We know that a centrifugal fan and 1:1 gas valve will deliver massive quantities of combustion mixture if allowed to run unrestricted with no back-pressure. We know the burner with a glued-in ceramic will start to lift after a couple of years and provide an unrestricted pathway for the combustion mixture. All you have to do is light it, stand back and watch the boiler become a furnace.

If the burner is replaced it can't overheat, Of course there may be other problems nevertheless, but overheating will not be one of them.

i'll check today, to be honest i was looking at gas valve and a stat problem before i come across this and now this explains exactly whats happening cheers :)

I thought it was the gas valve to start with. I was lucky to see the ceramic move as the thing overheated. It was a one in a million chance that I saw the movement. It took me a couple of months of contemplation after that before I realised the implications and could formulated a coherent explanation.

The difficulty is that after a boiler has overheated and switched off, the glued-in ceramic cools off, solidifies and looks perfectly OK. So even in a bad overheating incident there would be no reason to suspect the burner. I have not had so much experience with the older burner with the cloth-like, or fibrous element, but the one I have seen had very poor seals around the edge where it was bedded into the pressed steel burner base.

In my opinion this is manufacturing and design fault. After a fair bit of investigation I realised there is no national authoritative body to report issues like this. The Gas Safe Register can't help, and as many of their staff where employed by the large boiler manufacturers, one could be forgiven to think they are there to suppress any bad press about their old employers products. The Fire Brigade can't help and the HSE want someone to die before they will get out of bed. After reporting it to my MP it did get as far as the Baxi's CEO but off course he said it is fine, and my MP believed him!

I would love to get hold of a set of pictures of melted heat exchangers from this range of boilers so that I could re-start my campaign to force Baxi to start a national repair process. There was a picture in the September Gas Engineer but despite numerous attempts at contacting the contributor, he would not respond.

I would be interested to know how you get on. Could you provide the boiler CG number please?

I thought it was the gas valve to start with. I was lucky to see the ceramic move as the thing overheated. It was a one in a million chance that I saw the movement. It took me a couple of months of contemplation after that before I realised the implications and could formulated a coherent explanation.

The difficulty is that after a boiler has overheated and switched off, the glued-in ceramic cools off, solidifies and looks perfectly OK. So even in a bad overheating incident there would be no reason to suspect the burner. I have not had so much experience with the older burner with the cloth-like, or fibrous element, but the one I have seen had very poor seals around the edge where it was bedded into the pressed steel burner base.

In my opinion this is manufacturing and design fault. After a fair bit of investigation I realised there is no national authoritative body to report issues like this. The Gas Safe Register can't help, and as many of their staff where employed by the large boiler manufacturers, one could be forgiven to think they are there to suppress any bad press about their old employers products. The Fire Brigade can't help and the HSE want someone to die before they will get out of bed. After reporting it to my MP it did get as far as the Baxi's CEO but off course he said it is fine, and my MP believed him!

I would love to get hold of a set of pictures of melted heat exchangers from this range of boilers so that I could re-start my campaign to force Baxi to start a national repair process. There was a picture in the September Gas Engineer but despite numerous attempts at contacting the contributor, he would not respond.

I would be interested to know how you get on. Could you provide the boiler CG number please?

Jesus thanks for the info pal, got an iffy HE133 which may have this problem, its rarly used in an industrial unit so i am awaiting if he wants a repair or a shiny WB

the burners are expensive not worth doing as gas man said change the boiler from memory £160 then gasket kit on top

Jesus thanks for the info pal, got an iffy HE133 which may have this problem, its rarly used in an industrial unit so i am awaiting if he wants a repair or a shiny WB

just coz they're shiny, don't make em good!!!:)

The only way of stopping thermal runaway of those BAXI fireboxes would be by restricting the gas flow by gas isolator/service cock (partially closed) before the boiler (or fitting a suitable in-line orifice), so it can't maintain 1:1 air/gas ratio on high outputs (above rated power).
This way it wouldn't overheat, because there would be no enough gas, even when the ceramic takes off...
The only cons would be a slight efficiency loss on a max output.
Of course the combustion chamber can still be damaged, if the flame is directed to one side of it.

As to me, this is major design flaw: why the governor allows more gas in than the rated boiler input? Especially when the insides of it are made from alluminium, and quite often it has a PLASTIC flue?
If it has been lined with a firebricks (or at least had a thick cast iron combustion chamber), with stainless steel flue, than it shouldn't have ever melted...
The only explanation for governor, is that thay use the same part in a higher rated boilers, and DIDN't even bother fitting a correctly sized orifice before governor...

I think after a few heavy fire damage insurance claims caused by those BAXIs, there would be a national recall/refurb of those boilers. At least they can try fixing the ceramic grill by tying it down by the nichrome/tungsten/(heater) wire.
PS: Only for experienced gas safe persons, with practical burner design experience.

wish i had seen this post earlier - but did get there in the end put my photos on the thread baxi 100he combi

The only way of stopping thermal runaway of those BAXI fireboxes would be by restricting the gas flow by gas isolator/service cock (partially closed) before the boiler (or fitting a suitable in-line orifice), so it can't maintain 1:1 air/gas ratio on high outputs (above rated power)...
I would certainly not recommend running the boiler with a defective burner. A fix like this could result in boiler meltdown just as much as with the fault left unaddressed.

...As to me, this is major design flaw: why the governor allows more gas in than the rated boiler input? ...
The regulator is a 1:1. This means that it adjusts the gas flow to match the air flow through the fan. The effect is that the fan speed controls the flow of combustion mixture flow. The heat input is therefore controlled directly by adjusting the fan speed. If the burner ceramic face lifts and creates a large gap, the fan is then allowed to over-speed due to lack of back-pressure. The gas flow rate follows, and as said before, furnace-like quantities of combustion mixture enter the combustion chamber. No wonder it overheats and melts...

It you read my report you will see that there is every chance that no one will ever realise that the boiler has overheated because of the way in which the fault shows itself. I would imagine Baxi realise this and don't admit to the fault and steer clear of discussing it. That's why I suspect that no insurance claims have been made.

Attachments

• baxi 5.jpg
    baxi 5.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 42
  • baxi 4.jpg
    baxi 4.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 42
  • baxi 3.jpg
    baxi 3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 43
  • baxi 1.jpg
    baxi 1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 42
as this post states only noticed the burner panel lifting on full hw max gas rate as stated by thread starter one to watch for - this customer was lucky from what the thread says the heat ex could melt .

These are brilliant photos. Thanks to Buckley Plumb. I wish we could find more examples and then I would be willing to go back to my MP. In fact I may just do that anyway. I know there are other boilers out there that are much worse. This is not too different from the one I encountered in 2010 which finally made me think about what was happening. I mean, would you look at that burner and think there was anything wrong with it? Probably not. Clearly a really hot flame has come from, presumably, the burner. But then there is the dilemma of how could that happen? Once it is explained that the glue of the ceramic gives way and allows the ceramic to lift and create a big gap around its edge, then the downwards flame becomes a realistic proposition.

The Sherlock Holmes - type mystery is then put in place by the ceramic settling back into the burner base making it look perfectly OK. And once it has cooled the ceramic will be secure and not give any clues that it is faulty. The one I saw in 2008 had a totally melted heat exchanger but the burner looked just the same as above. I didn't take a photo ... aarrrgggh!

I actually think this boiler would work perfectly well if this fault did not exist. Ok, the trap would be a pain; but there would be none of the lock-out or overheating issues. I have replaced burners on a couple of these and they are running fine. I have a note when the third anniversary is due, and the customers are happy to pay for new burners as I have recommended.

Actually I think BPs customer was lucky because this boiler could easily kill. It could start a fire as easily as can be. There may already have been incidents. A full-blown fire would destroy the boiler though and effectively destroy the evidence that shows how the fire started. Baxi are fully aware of this issue now because I have told them. They know however that any fire would destroy the evidence that would otherwise condemn the boiler. The only way we can make the authorities take notice is to find more pictures and installers who would be willing to tell their story.

Right, now we've non verified gsr's joining in on this. I've been uneasy about where this thread was and letting it ride but enough's enough.

Moving to the private forum.

There's a few of these on my patch, I've changed 3 burners so far I think. I'm just waiting for the next one to go.

I have re system boiler at the new house , boiler does not responded to thermostat knob and only cuts out on the high limit ..... thermistor reads 2.6 k ohms
high limit stats are on 0.5 ohms .... Burner pressure is 18.5 mbar
any one experienced this ?

I have re system boiler at the new house , boiler does not responded to thermostat knob and only cuts out on the high limit ..... thermistor reads 2.6 k ohms
high limit stats are on 0.5 ohms .... Burner pressure is 18.5 mbar
any one experienced this ?

Have you checked the inner door seals? The red seal crumbles away and the fan limit stat trips, throwing the over heat light. The boiler might not actually be getting that hot for the control knob to work.

Have you checked the inner door seals? The red seal crumbles away and the fan limit stat trips, throwing the over heat light. The boiler might not actually be getting that hot for the control knob to work.
in worse case the burner can lift causing melt down

I have cheked all burner seals and they are good . CO is 15ppm and ratio 0,0002
the problem I had was exp vessel lost pressure and I pumped it up and had a air lock in hex ..... All running smooth now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi 100 HE overheats and melts heat exchanger - an explanation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

U
Hi there all... Im having a problem with the fore-mentioned boiler... Firstly, I was called to a customers house who had a overheat problem...
Replies
Views
uplandsplumb
U
J
Hi, can anyone advise, m y Baxi 100 HE boiler keeps going onto 'Overheat' on a regular basis. Just recently every hour. Any advice would be...
Replies
Views
Hi went to a Main 24 he today (very much a B rated baxi combi HE) Boiler works fine 50% of the time. There is a fault on CH & DHW mode which is...
Replies
Views
Billy Bob Bob
B
D
hey was at a bahama today that was cutting out when you run the hot water. The heating heats up until it gets to a certain temp (hot) and then...
Replies
Views
diesel_ltd
D
B
All, Before I call out a heating engineer I wondered if anybody here might have had a similar experience with a glow worm boiler or might be...
Replies
Views
BertW
B
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock