Discuss Broken soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vince
can you post a picture of the plastic/cast connection at the bottom of the stack?

Plouasne
in a previous reply Vince said the cast pipe is in poor condition and the fixing are loose. it is better to replace the lot in my opinion.
Oh! and hope you feel better soon.
Eco

Ecowarm,

From looking at the first photo, it looks as if its cast iron from the branch down, the pipe rings above the branch look to be for asbestos pipe that's why I said leave the cast iron alone

If the OP does not want to disturb the w/c pan etc, he could cut back the asbestos bend use a PVC branch with a PVC to asbestos connector to connect to a new PVC branch, and then run the rest in PVC

And thanks for your thinking of me

Here is a photo of the cast soil pipe going into the collar and then into the ground.
I want to leave the clay bend that comes from the WC and then through the walls and then at the moment joins to the asbestos branch.All the rest i hope to renew.
This is why i need to get the angle of the new branch right matching the one already there now so there is a straight connection and not with any kinks in it.
Hope that makes sense, if not ask any questions you like.
Vince.

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 33
From the looks of your last photo, the whole stack and possibly part of the drains should be scrapped and done again, including the asbestos bent pan connector, start again in PVC all the way

Reasons

1) Broken collar to the plastic, the part half in the ground, remove the broken concrete around the collar and excavate the ground around the collar to see what other surprises there are

2) The asbestos (it is asbestos, not clay no matter what someone else tells you), bent pan connector will be too large a diameter to pick up the plastic branch

3) The branch and pipework above the branch are all in asbestos

From the looks of your last photo, the whole stack and possibly part of the drains should be scrapped and done again, including the asbestos bent pan connector, start again in PVC all the way

Reasons

1) Broken collar to the plastic, the part half in the ground, remove the broken concrete around the collar and excavate the ground around the collar to see what other surprises there are

2) The asbestos (it is asbestos, not clay no matter what someone else tells you), bent pan connector will be too large a diameter to pick up the plastic branch

3) The branch and pipework above the branch are all in asbestos

I agree

Eco

The top of the clay spigot going into the ground is cracked which is probably indicitave of the condition of the rest of it. If it is cracked lower down then foul water is probably seeping out under the foundations and surrounding soil. The whole thing wants to come off, including the asbestos pipe to the WC from the branch, and any broken pipework below ground replaced. In any case it will probably be quicker and cheaper to replace the lot in PVC than it would be to try and mess on attempting to join existing parts together.

There appears to be a lump of asbestos sitting right at the front of the pipe which has probably dropped off somewhere further up.

Its Plastic coming out the ground. But I agree it is problably in poor condition under ground as well

My pal camera surveyed the undergroung drain from the manhole to the soil pipe which is about 3 metres long this week and he said all was ok with it.
The reason why the plastic spigot is cracked is because it has been wacked quite a lot by the wheely bins over the years as the pipe is near to the gate.
As for the soil pipe it is like this:
1-ground to branch is cast iron,
2-branch is asbestos,
3-bend from inside house goes into branch maybe asbestos or clay,
4-from branch upto the roof line/eaves is cast iron or a material that is metalic as a fridge magnet sticks to unlike the asbestos branch where it will not.
As in earlier posts by me i wanted to use a fernco connector from the bend connected to a short plastic pipe into a plastic branch and then above and below this all in plastic and leave 3/6 inches of cast at ground level and use another fernco to join to that, if thats no possible then plastic to plastic drain connector/adaptor.
Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Broken soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

How much work is it to part replace cast iron soil stack. I need to add existing toilet upstairs so need to add a branch in to external stack...
Replies
Views
M
Good morning Had a friend call me to say his toilet is leaking. I had a look and the joint between the pan connector and the cast iron soil...
Replies
Views
HI I have been asked to remove a lead soil pipe which enters a CI stack as it is leaking at the joint with the CI branch - what would be the...
Replies
Views
T
Hello all, Visited a property yesterday with a combined drain/sewer system. Drain at front of house currently takes rain water via a gutter...
Replies
Views
M
Need to introduce a biggish offset in the bottom storey of a 4 storey discharge stack. The stack serves two bathrooms in one house (no flats)...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock