Search the forum,

Discuss Part replace soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

How much work is it to part replace cast iron soil stack. I need to add existing toilet upstairs so need to add a branch in to external stack which is cast iron. As far as I am aware I need to use two adapters top and bottom to convert from cast to plastic pipe. Then an adaptor for connection new toilet. Is this possible for DIY or would I need a plumber. If so any idea of rough cost

plumber

It would be easier to pull the lot down and replace it all for plastic.

In light of the possible consequences of even getting it a tiny bit wrong (e.g. have a bit of cast drop into the gully or worse) I agree wholeheartedly with Craig in that the very best solution is to replace wholesale. It will look better, be safer, perform better and last longer. ;)

Would need more info, some pics would help so we can assess access etc, and are you sure it's cast iron and not asbestos cement? The two can look similar.

Anyone know rough costs for plumber to do this. Is this hundreds or more like 1 thousand

Materials are fairly cheap, but I guess it would be at least a days work for 2 men, with careful removal of the old stack and installing new stack. It would also be best to have soil pipe to toilets through wall also completely new, if possible.
Sometimes it might require scaffolding to do the job safely

This is photo here. Dot is where new toilet waste will come out

Screenshot_20190123_182838.jpg

Reply to Part replace soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it is earthed. The new tap will use flexible tails and so will not be earth bonded. My initial search for information suggests that there is no legal...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock