Search the forum,

Discuss Combined Drain Connecting Gutter to Soil Stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello all,

Visited a property yesterday with a combined drain/sewer system. Drain at front of house currently takes rain water via a gutter downpipe. I'm wanting to replace this with a soilpipe and am wondering how I go about safely connecting rainwater into the soil stack. If this isn't possible I'll have to go with a dreaded macerator unit.

Has anyone got any advice or solutions? Appreciate it's difficult without seeing the problem but I haven't got enough of a fall to run round the house to the existing soil stack (even if I could it would look terrible running a soil pipe round 2 walls).

If it is combined and you have a four inch pipe under ground I don't see the problem You may have to remove an underground gulley trap though.

Soil and vent may need to be off set to accomodate rainwater pipe.

Hi,

Are you suggesting that I leave the existing rainwater downpipe and connect the soil pipe completely separately into the drain slightly downstream? My hope was to find some way of removing the rainwater downpipe and running the soil pipe straight into the drain thus avoiding the groundworks.

Hi. You wont be the first. But the smell one gets from the gutter down pipe will drive you mad. Its trapped at present, but this would be removed if soil was to be connected. There will be a manhole some where close, just run a new drain to that and connect new soil to same. If venting soil stack it need to terminate 1 m above any opening, window etc.

Hi, as I feared! I'm going to suggest either the dreaded macerator option (the existing soil stack serves a cloakroom on a different side of the house) or running a new drain to the front of the house to serve the proposed new bathroom. There is a inspection chamber nearby with a spare connection so this shouldn't be a problem.

Hi. Macerators make a racket, if someone uses the toilet at night the whole house wakes up. And dealing with a blockage is not for the faint hearted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combined Drain Connecting Gutter to Soil Stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock