Discuss Chasing pipes for shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smudger

I'm refitting a bathroom and the client wants the shower on the opposite wall. I want to hide the pipes behind the tiling, but the plaster/render is not thick enough to take pipe and sleeving (overflow pipe) and I'm worried that if I chase into brickwork it will either weaken wall or remove plaster on other side. My other option is to build false wall the width of the bath and cover pipes in this way. What do other more experienced guys do?
Thanks in anticipation.:confused:

I prefer the false wall approach. Chasing into brick shouldn't weaken it (as long as you're not stoopid!!) but there will always be a risk to the plaster the other side.

Thanks mate, I think that's the way to go. It's hard enough to make money without having to redecorate the bedroom for free!!

In my opinion it's not your fault if you chase and the plaster falls off. But it would be your fault if you didn't warn the customer first. If you warn and it happens then you can expect them to pay for it.

Hope whatever you decide it's a good fun job.

Im assuming your talking about an internal 4" block wall? Your right if you chase it out for a piar of 22's it doesnt leave you much to get a fixing for any pipe clips.

I use CLS timber and run it the narrow side, thats plenty deep enough.

4" block? I should be so luckY! Single skin brick, thats why I'm scarred to chase it. Definitely agree with you Scottley.

Ive just purchased a pipe chaser, cuts 2 channels up to 30mm deep and 50mm wide, i then chase out the middle with my sds chisel on my makita on rotary stop.

Ive just purchased a pipe chaser, cuts 2 channels up to 30mm deep and 50mm wide, i then chase out the middle with my sds chisel on my makita on rotary stop.

A 4 1/2" angle grinder will do the same job.
Keep the door closed, open the windows, put on a dust mask (a good one) and goggles and away you go.
You should be able to find your way to the door in around 5 minutes:D

Or just use a hammer and bolster or a scutch hammer. You will only need to take 10mm at most from the brick and it can be done by hand in about 10 minutes.

I'm refitting a bathroom and the client wants the shower on the opposite wall. I want to hide the pipes behind the tiling, but the plaster/render is not thick enough to take pipe and sleeving (overflow pipe) and I'm worried that if I chase into brickwork it will either weaken wall or remove plaster on other side. My other option is to build false wall the width of the bath and cover pipes in this way. What do other more experienced guys do?
Thanks in anticipation.:confused:

Your idea seems good, however, i think it might be best to have it done the way the client seems appropriate, this way you can avoid any problems or complaints from them. There is also a bit of a risk with removing the plaster.

Who are all these "clients"? It is like an episode of an american soap.

Personally i just do work for customers or people i can't stand but want to pay me.

To fully appreciate the risks here a full assessment should be done and a method statement prepared and followed to the letter.

Remember
"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chasing pipes for shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My step-daughter bought a 50's end-terraced house at the start of the year, and found there was a leak from Mira bar shower that was coming...
Replies
Views
B
I'm trying to get my kitchen totally prepared before I call the RGI in to do the work needed. My cooker is still fed by a surface mounted lead gas...
Replies
Views
B
Hoping you guys can offer me some pointers and answers. I have done many of the individual bits of bathrooms a good few times, some only rarely...
Replies
Views
kay-jay
K
S
Hi, looking for some help. I am refitting our bathroom and I'm replacing the old bath with deck mounted taps on the side with a new bath and...
Replies
Views
stuco
S
I have a bathroom to change for a customer. The changing of the bathroom fittings should not be a problem, however all of the plaster has to be...
Replies
Views
Bernie2
B

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock