Discuss Gas Pipe in wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, get involved with a gas safe engineer NOW. get them in to give a quote for the work you require, if you still have lead gas service pipework, there maybe more important issues that you can't see, that need to be addressed, as doing the job twice is a waste of life. Jon

Thanks Johnwells, probably going to get a long time no see mate involved, he runs his own plumbing company and I'm sure he'll be gas safe registered or one of his team will be, as far as I know the cooker gas is the last bit the lead is actually a live feed to, it comes from the meter in 28mm up into my bedroom, somewhere there must be an old branch from copper to lead thats been patched into it to keep that bit of lead live, have two gas fires both in copper that never get used, one wall heater upstairs in that main bed, again it's never used and the boiler is also already in copper, will have to see what he says about them.

Thanks Fuzzy,could use copper but didn't think it would be hard enough to stop a stray drill bit if it ever got hit, probably easier to find a needle in a haystack than drill through the wall at the exact point but s*** happens, it's for future residents I was thinking of.

It doesn't matter to me what they've done their side,I just needed a safe solution for my side, looks like I'll have to have another crap looking surface mounted gas pipe and box it in at worktop level so nobody can see it easily apart from above kitchen units,not ideal in a new kitchen but seems my only solution then !!

Last edited by a moderator:
if your gunner use your logic mate were he mite drill thro the wall or someone at a later date then what if shelves or a kitchen was fitted on the neigbours side you have holes everywere carnt really see the worry plus you have to get someone gsr anyway to sort the pipe

1/2" barrell with corrosion protection then made good into wall with no gaps, simples :D

if wall is only 4inch thick i'd just bring the wall out enough to cover your pipe stud and board or dot and dab boarding, thus making your own cavity you can then mesh the back of the pipe if you are really wanting to protect from screws from other side

if wall is only 4inch thick i'd just bring the wall out enough to cover your pipe stud and board or dot and dab boarding, thus making your own cavity you can then mesh the back of the pipe if you are really wanting to protect from screws from other side

sorry to disagree Kay-Jay but if you do that you're then breaking Reg19 unless you then sleeve/duct the pipe and ventilate said enclosure

1/2" barrel sounds what I'm looking for shorticus, I could chase, chop of old and re-plaster the whole wall, that's not a problem if needed,the kitchen is small enough without losing anymore to dot and dab or even 2" x 1" batten then plasterboard ,anywhere I could find the in and outs on the barrel procedures,I reckon I'll get my mate to strip out the old lead mains then he can connect onto the boiler gas pipe come across the kitchen then drop down the same wall in 1/2" barrel where I'm concerned about the protection of the pipe, what's best form of corrosion protection on this stuff, it's in soft red brick that sucks up water like a tissue, just want to get all chases etc ready before I call him in

1/2" barrel sounds what I'm looking for shorticus, I could chase, chop of old and re-plaster the whole wall, that's not a problem if needed,the kitchen is small enough without losing anymore to dot and dab or even 2" x 1" batten then plasterboard ,anywhere I could find the in and outs on the barrel procedures,I reckon I'll get my mate to strip out the old lead mains then he can connect onto the boiler gas pipe come across the kitchen then drop down the same wall in 1/2" barrel where I'm concerned about the protection of the pipe, what's best form of corrosion protection on this stuff, it's in soft red brick that sucks up water like a tissue, just want to get all chases etc ready before I call him in

barrell's not really a diy job, your gas fitter should be capable of doing it for you if he's worth his salt, as for protection you can't beat denso tape although it's horrible stuff to work with and may stain through the new plaster

I don't intend doing it myself,I just want to get all the prep work done,Is there anyway of sealing the Denso tape at all, spraying with stainblock etc, covering it in bonding rather than sand and cement? I've got so much to do in that kitchen it's unbelievable, got a lath and plaster ceiling to come down, the whole kitchen wants at least a re-skim, total re-plastering at some parts, the idiots who built the bathroom extension on the back of the house got the floor levels wrong, the bathroom floor is actually about 40mm higher than the kitchen floor level,I've raise the lobby floor up to the correct level, just got to get the kitchen floor sorted now but there wasn't enough space to run the pipework under that screed, maximum depth about 45mm, it's even touch and go whether that will stay down properly, so while I'm making a mess I just want to get everything chopped out at once and cleaned away while I'm taking time off work, that way I won't upset the neighbours too much with constant banging everyday :) even if it's not directly on the party wall, so much to do with Xmas fast approaching as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Pipe in wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back