Search the forum,

Discuss How would you change a bathroom? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bathroom to change for a customer. The changing of the bathroom fittings should not be a problem, however all of the plaster has to be removed and the walls re-plastered, at the end of each day he wants a working bathroom as it is the only one and he has small children. The only choice I can see is to remove the old fittings each morning and refit them each afternoon as best I can, when the plastering is finished then I will install the new sanitary ware. Is that the way most others would tackle the job?

Mick

Hhhmmm, I'd get them to go stay with a friend or relative for a week! Sounds like a complete ball ache having to keep installing the bath at the end of each day.

He's having a giraffe. If that's what the customer wants though just make sure it reflects in the price.

Totally agree with Paulplumb, if the customer wants a working bathroom throughout what is a difficult process then that is going to lengthen the job considerably and the price would therefore be much higher. I have done jobs before where there is only one bathroom and I will compromise and leave the loo attached via a flexi pan connector and flexi supply or connect the pan only and use a black bucket flush system. Either way it can be sited away from the wall and the plasterer and tiler can do their job. I am sure most people in this situation are willing to wash themselves in the kitchen sink if it will save them a heap of money! Bless em!

I've got the same thing for a landlord soon, tennants aren't moving or going on holiday.. Agreeded to leave loo working but they will have to go shower at work or nextdoor.

If they wanted a full bath in, that got to be an extra 2 hours to the day x 10 days ave bathroom refit = 3 days extra pay on the quote.

Yup dont be bambuzelled. Trade practice is to get them to go away for a day or so.

or

Def. no bath or basin for 1x night just keep the crapper working - 1st thing out 1st thing back in.

The customers that can afford for you to do the re-fit lark each evening can only be the ones that
have homes with more than one bathroom anyway !

centralheatking

Hi. Can you put it in the room next to bath room as temp measure whilst work is complete?

I have a bathroom to change for a customer. The changing of the bathroom fittings should not be a problem, however all of the plaster has to be removed and the walls re-plastered, at the end of each day he wants a working bathroom as it is the only one and he has small children. The only choice I can see is to remove the old fittings each morning and refit them each afternoon as best I can, when the plastering is finished then I will install the new sanitary ware. Is that the way most others would tackle the job?

Mick

mick dont do it no matter how desperate you are for the work
tell him HOW YOU WORK explain the situation if he doesnt like it or says no then move on
bob

i agree with buff there is always the chance you will forget to check all the connections thoroughly. they will have a bath one of the tap connections will leak or the waste will leak or the bath will topple over. just say that it is not practical to do this

steve

oh id have to tell him that he'll be at least one night without a bath. toilet could be re-connected. if he started being funny - i would explain this would be the quickest route.

i could rip the bathroom out plaster off isolate everything and plasterer in in one day - no bath that night - next day first fix and new bath in - ready to be tilled - bath could be used but would advise against it.... tiler in for day or 2 depending on how much to do. basin and new toilet fitted in and out within a week.

My neighbour hired a portaloo and portashower when his work was done. The works lasted over 5 weeks.

You have to mantain control , soon as you let a client call the shoots you have had it. You are the proffesional, say what the schedule is, let them know there is a system.

I tell my clients bathroom out of bounds apart from wc. All depending what is done, at least 48 hours after silicone is done. If a wetroom lot longer.

Warren

can you not fit the bath, cover and protect it, let the plasterers plaster to it and set the toilet back in at night. Theres no need for a WHB as he can wash and brush teeth at the bath for a day or two "simples"

I use a bath board on every job , 18mm wbp ply , so when the bath is fitted it protects it and i can use it as a bench when tiling and all sorts. For a client to use the bathroom while it is being done is just crazy.

Things need to dry, plaster, adhesives , grout, silicone. It just wont be a sound finish. Come onnnnn!!!

Leave them fitted and don't take them out at all. Cover fittings, hack off walls, replaster down to existing positions. Then take out fittings, one at a time, plaster area, when plaster hardened but not fully set, refit fittings, fixing to blocks in the wall or plastic spacers.

You can always seal them onto the wall with silicon afterwards when its dry or fit the new suite as you go along, instead of refitting the old one.

Tiling same idea.

Easy enough but would take time and you have to be careful. I think I have done a few this way.

Can't remember exactly, getting on a bit! But probably have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How would you change a bathroom? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock