Discuss Over my head in this one, advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smcart5

I was called by an old work colleague about a blocked bath waste and he begged me to come and look at it as he had just moved into the place so i went out, brought a plunger which has added to a very small tool collection that's growing slowly.

Well it was not a bath, it was a shower cubicle in a, well a hellhole really, the shower cubicle waste is connected somewhere inside a wooden box where the toilet pan connector goes through, i did not even try and take anything apart due to the fact both toilet and shower cubicle is blocked, the cubicle floor is full of water and refuses to drain period.

First thing he tried was some drain cleaner, it did squat all so he then tried a small plunger, it did nothing except bring up a large amount of dirt and grit which i assume is making up the blockage, i thought the next step would be to siphon off the water somehow and open up a waste connection then try and get a drain snake down there but i did not have a wet and dry hoover, bailing it out would be pointless as the water still in the pipes would flood the floor, and the waste pipes from the cubicle to the back of the toilet were too low to the floor to get a tray or something under, i did not want to waste any more of his time so i told him i was in over my head, he knew i was only college educated and wanted it done as a quick favor, I'm not sure what i could have done about it.

My question is what was probably causing that blockage and would would you guys have tried, or have any of you come across something similar and solved it.

had this before when some one emptied there fish tank down the sink and i mean all of the contents of the tank:eek:.
plenty off fairy liquid and a lot off work with a plunger eventually cleared it,but it was mainly sand

sounds like another cowboy

or someone from Europe........
in Spain they use junction type manhole that take all sizes of pipes, the box in about the size of 4 shoe boxes. all content drop in to a mini well box, fill up then off in one pipe to main drain .
the system works 99% of the time

I tried and tried with the plunger, but it failed to do anything and after 5 mins i gathered it was not working, anyone know what i should have done?

use a six inch plunger on a drain rod not one of them silly 4 inch ones

Maybe i should have just kept using the plunger on it, but it did not feel like it was doing anything, probably need a better quality plunger, the one i have is a bit flimsy.

Drain the water out as much as possible, I have even admit to using a clear hose which I also use to remove excess watter from copper for soldering. Go to you merchant and get a Litre of flowrite Drain cleaner and a funnel with some gloves and safety specs.

Gently pour the contents down and leave for 20 minutes. Put kettle on and once again very slowly put water down it will clear it believe me!

But please be careful it burns like hell!

Am i missing something? Have you actually lifted the main drain manhole cover and checked for a blocked drain? If drain not blocked you could try rodding back up drain (in direction of toilet) to check and clear blockage. Otherwise it sounds like pan out job. Or if your lucky as me you could use a Jet Plumber Plunger which takes air-rod cans and will clear pretty much any blockage (be warned can also blow pipes apart).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Over my head in this one, advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a few issues with my bath drainage and leaking. The first issue is that the near corner of the bath by the taps is sloped downwards...
Replies
Views
Hi All I own 2 flats and the upstairs/first floor tenant has contacted me to say that the toilet and basin are slow at draining and she thinks...
Replies
Views
Ok I have been dealing with this problem for over a year and finally have to ask for some help as backflushing every 2 weeks or so is getting very...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm renovation my own house, and I'm just moving on to the bathroom. I've realised that the soil pipe is too low, the bottom of it...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock