Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked Cold Water Tank Pipes - Doing my head in for over a year in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Ok I have been dealing with this problem for over a year and finally have to ask for some help as backflushing every 2 weeks or so is getting very tiresome.

I live in a 60's flat (3 flats per side of the block so 6 flats in all) with two overhead water tanks in a tankhouse on the flat roof for each side of the flat block - one tank feeds the old 60's vented cylinder boilers and the other tank which is linked feeds the cold water for the toilet - mainly the sink taps, bath taps and cistern for each of the 3 flats via one central cold water downpipe.

So ok every 2 weeks or so the cold water feeds stops feeding to my flat only as though there is either an air bubble or piece of fibreglass from the water tank blocking the pipes.

The other two flats below me do not suffer from this so the blockage is not in the main cold water feed that goes down to each flat so it seems just my flat has the issue - i have attached a crude diagram of the piping it is less than 5 metres from the main cold water downpipe from the tanks to my bathroom sink which is the furthest away!

I have backflushed the pipes using a magic hose from the kitchen mains tap to the cistern valve pipe using my own modified rubber connectors which works quite well and clears the blockage every time but the blockage always comes back.

I am at the stage of deciding whether to take the pipe off the cistern and using a borescope to check the inside of the copper pipes for what the blockage actually is but i am feeling it may be more of an air bubble than a piece of plastic or fibreglass as nothing comes up into the cold water tank on the roof when i backflush.

As all 3 bath, sink and cistern water feeds fail i think the blockage may be at either the t-junction which splits the main tank feed to the sink and the bath/cistern or at worse case the main gate valve where the tank pipes feed off the main downpipe which feeds all 3 flats (we are 6 in a block so each side has 2 tanks in a separate tankhouse).

One thing i have noticed is that the toilet cistern is constantly leaking into the pan so was wondering if perhaps someone who has experienced this type of problem in an old flat could advise

I am thinking that perhaps the leak in the rubber seal in the cistern valve and therefore constant draw of cold water from the water tank on the roof is perhaps causing an air bubble so maybe try replacing the cistern dual flush valve as i have been unable to get a replacement rubber seal for the valve as it seems to be non standard size?

Any ideas gratefully received as I have been dealing with this for over 2 years!

Attachments

• Flat Cold Water Diagram.jpg
    Flat Cold Water Diagram.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Flat_Water_Pipes_Labelled-2.jpg
    Flat_Water_Pipes_Labelled-2.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Tankhouse_Pipes_Layout (6).jpg
    Tankhouse_Pipes_Layout (6).jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 8
How long has the toilet been running into the pan ?

I would get that sorted first as tbh it’s a wastage of water

Yes going to be part of new floor tiling job i need to remove the whole toilet and replace the cistern bolts as they are rusted probably going to have to buy a new cistern valve as i cant get the rubber seal as it seems to be Lecico proprietary size - Lecico sent me a new one for free but it doesnt fit so obviously my toilet is too old!

Talked to a plumber for a quote he said he has seen it before and knows exactly what the problem is (so he says) so it has obviously been seen before by some plumbers in older systems!

The thing that makes it so annoying is all the pipes are under the floor so i would have to rip the bath out to replace the pipes and they are only about 5-10 metres in total from the bathroom sink to the main water tank cold water downpipe that feeds all the flats bathrooms!

Was thinking maybe the blockage is getting stopped at the gate valve as it is also 1963 and does leak if you try and turn it so obviously the washer inside has perished!

Scotland dude we dont pay for water like the English but i want to get both sorted anyway as i have a lot of issues including the bathtub now having gel coat cracks so that needs repaired as well!

Problem is i had to give up my job and now only get carers allowance so pretty skint but i do all jobs myself never employed a tradesman in my life!

Reply to Blocked Cold Water Tank Pipes - Doing my head in for over a year in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock