Discuss My first Mistake what was yours in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
the jury acquitted me of that flood .the 2 people who died were well in their nineties.how dare u mention this on a public forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol,glad you got acquitted, heard the carpet was foobarred though LOL

When i was an apprentice, my boss would give the customer a 3 day gaurantee and a rubber dingi thrown in
if i done any work in that prroperty. Ive never been confidant since that.

Some early examples of mistakes but looking back more like stupidity (it would take too long to go into detail but i may do later if anyone is interested)

Don't rod upstream on a choked factory sewage line.......circa 1973
Don't swap a 2" valve live in a school boiler house basement (coal fired sauna).......circa 1974 (this was a joint effort)
Don't cut into an un-purged 4" gas line with an oxy acetylene cutter..........circa 1975
Don't punch a bull on the head...........circa 1975
Don't sh@g your journeymans wife........circa 1976
Don't sh@g your bosses wife..........also cica1976,77,78,79

But my first mistake was walking in to the plumbers yard and asking if he had any jobs going:p and his mistake was saying yes;)

my first mistake, i was changing a trv on a rad in a dining room with a cream carpet, all going well bungs in tank in loft pressure released plenty of sheets down no flow at all from pipe turned round to get trv to put on, gurgle from behind me, by the time i looked back the sheets were black and it was soaking through to the carpet. i was more upset than the customer. that was a lesson learned, have everything to hand even if you have to spread yourself out.

Well I made one yesterday. Was between jobs, picking up a bacon roll. Phone goes, 'we've got a leaky washing machine valve'.

Nice easy job I think. I'll pop there between jobs. Go down there, and it's the comp fitting that's leaking. The machine is right next to the kitchen sink.

Look under sink, two stop cocks. Client informs me that one does the outside tap. So I turn them both off, turn easy enough. Run the kitchen taps, and it's off. Great I think.

Undo the compression joint and whooooosh! About 3 bar of pressure and I'm getting soaked fast. The client dashes to the front door where theres another stopcock and switches the water off.

Luckilly it's a concrete floor, they'd allready taken the lino up as it was being replaced. I got the wet vac out and cleaned it up. I was soaked. Told them no charge, (how could I charge?!) Felt like a prize TWA*.

Went to next job soaked to the skin, (I didn't have time to go home and change as he had to go out, and by the time I'd cleaned up the water I was running late).

Haven't made a school boy error like that in a long time. Very embarrassing, though in fairness, it was a fairly safe assumption that I'd knocked the water off.

Anyway, they insisted they pay me, and stuffed £40 in my pocket, bless em.

It can happen to anyone...no matter how experienced you get. A wee bit of complacency and you can be a wet plumber. Never good.

i had similar problem back in october. kitchen tap loose, no isolators turned off stopcock under sink water still running so had to get customer to turn bath and basin cold on full to take pressure off while i did a live snatch. got soaked and came down with bad cold next day. turns out stopcock was for outside tap!

I saw this happen in Arts college. feed was undersized and pumps ovesized...the tanks about 12 feet high, aNd in the next one all the brackets started coming loose beacuse the walls where really damp when the glue was put in for the 10mm rod, hilti anchors just pushed the brick out. And then to top it all of i got in a fight with the diamond core drill....it won

Attachments

• IMAGE_086.jpg
    IMAGE_086.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAGE_087.jpg
    IMAGE_087.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAGE_095.jpg
    IMAGE_095.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 61
  • The knago won.jpg
    The knago won.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My first Mistake what was yours in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hi PlumbersForums. I've been having some issues with my central heating system in a 4 year old new build property for over a year now. I have...
Replies
Views
C
Hi, we have really good water pressure where we live. But that in turn has left us with very noisy taps in the bathrooms. At the moment we...
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
K
About a month ago, we noticed water marks on our kitchen ceiling so got a plumber out to look at our bathroom to see if they could find the...
Replies
Views
K

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock