Discuss The New VIY Thread class of Jan 09 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

suburbanplumber

Now Then. The other VIY thread was a big help to me in deciding to do my training with VIY so I thought I’d do a new thread, as there have been a few changes to the course content and the teaching staff. I have no connection to VIY, other than being a customer.

Beforehand:
Online:
VIY’s website isn’t all that, in fact its pants.

Over the phone:
George who owns VIY is very charming and made me feel at ease about giving him seven grand. He can sort out a finance package with nothing to pay for the first year, but it aint cheap. I’ll be posting more information on the differences between what different students thought they were getting as this thread continues.

In the flesh: George is exactly as southerners imagine a jovial Yorkshire man to be. A very likeable chap, and a great salesman.

Week One
The class of Jan 09 from the south coast to the north east, age ranges from 19 to early 60’s, the most common reasons for attending are ‘just become a dad’ and ‘just been made redundant’. Experience varies from already working as a plumber to not even done much DIY.

The start to the week is shambolic, team VIY are not very organised. Joe Awkward tutored the first week (ok not his name but it should be, and he pronounces it that way). Joe took a whole week to teach two introductory chapters from the manual, really it was one days training at most, and what seemed like ten days of his interminable stories.
Joe has a very high option of his teaching ability, not one I share. When, after the first exam Joe was asked for feedback, it was health and safety, i.e workplace safety while handling hazardous materials, so it’s important to know what you don’t know, Joe told us that as a previous group had wanted to argue with him about the interpretation of the questions he would not give us any feedback and it wasn’t his job to do so.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Joe may have gotten away with his patronise-the-ladies & sneer-at-the-lads attitude when working in the public sector, but it’s not good enough for a commercial training organisation. We spent the weekend talking about how to broach the subject of his unprofessional attitude and poor delivery skills with George but on Monday morning Joe had left, and the learning began. Big time.

Week Two
Int t’Shop
Joe’s sudden departure seemed to have caught his colleagues on the hop and we were moved to the workshop where we spent the first two days of getting used to the materials and tools. Think of the sound of dropped spanners and the smell of solder and singed fingers! The workshop teachers are Mark, Simon, Steve and Brian. They spend a lot of time teasing each other, which soon put everyone at ease. Whenever there are asked a how to question they you always get 1,2,3, or even 4 different ways of solving the problem with them adding that there is no ‘right’ way to plumb a job. What they teach is the underlying principles, encouraging students to take a creative approach to problem solving. As we were to find out they are extremely knowledgeable and go out of their way to make sure no student is left behind. The house teaching style is to show you once, answer any questions, encourage you to get on with it, and then reappear as if by magic, standing at your shoulder, if you get stuck. Thumbs up.

On Wednesday we started to on our first assessment pieces, half the class fitting a bathroom and the other half doing a pair of cold and hot water tanks. Most of us finished the assignment Wednesday evening/Thursday morning.

Week Three
Mark took over the classroom training apologising for any lack a familiarity with the material, and claiming not to be as good a teacher as Joe. Disarmingly charming, hilariously blunt, and massively knowledgeable Mark certainly under promised and over delivered. He has really natural training style, always saying how little he cares, always demonstrating how much he cares. Thumbs up.

More soon
Suburban Plumber

I am also on the same course as suburban plumber, i totally agree with everything that has been said so far. I wouldn't be as polite though about Joe. He was a complete arse!

One of the funniest things that i have ever seen was today in the workshops when Mark designed and retro fitted wing mirrors to his glasses so that Simon could not creep up behind him. HILARIOUS!

There was a minor mishap when we had to have some photo's retaken due to apparently the developers losing some photo's. I really think its operator error, I'm sure i heard Brian and Steve discussing where to put the film. It is of course a digital camera!

I wonder why though, whenever anyone checks the VIY website the course changes! I spoke to Gorgeous.(everyone's nick name for George) on 3 separate occasions and it changed everytime I spoke to him!

Having said that I have no regrets yet! especially now Joe Arsewood has gone! everyone mentioned that this was probably the best decision Gorgeous had made in years.

I have been outed by one of the tutors - in the nicest possible way!

If you too are on the course or are a past student please add to this thread. I look forward to hearing your views.
SP

In the interests of absolute fairness i feel I should record that there is an error in my first post, Joe actually left at the end of week two I.E the end of the 1st week we did in the workshop. He was upstairs taking another class during week two.

keep 'em coming
SP

The course I did at viy is now a grand cheaper???

I've just looked on the ever changing VIY website and the smallish print says that its £50 per exam and the tool kit is no longer 'yours to keep' but a £50 optional extra Hmmmmmm.
Suburban Plumber

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to spend about a grand on tools when you leave anyway, the free ones were a bit "diy" you can get very good stuff at toolstation ! Hmmmmm wonder if I have to pay for my part p now or will they give it to me for free??? Pretty please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah part P. Hmmm

What exactly does part P enable you to do?

George told me I would be able to certify landlords houses

Joe said certify, and PAT test once you've spent £400 to join a certifying body. What was suspicious was the way Joe tried to bury this question by 'going into one' about CORGI

NOW I'm hearing that you need to join a certifying body and PAY to sit the 17th edition. which is apparently much harder than Part P, and another exam for being able to PAT test.

Seeking clarification???????????
suburban plumber

Part p is very hard and will go over your head if you dont already know a lot about electricity! Take your time you will not need it that much in the beginning anyway. Part p enables you to take a cable from the consumer box yourself for example replacing an 8 kw shower with a 9 kw . or adding an extractor fan to a bathroom. Like jo will probably tell you , you will have enough to deal with just doing your 6129 in ten weeks . Plus dont forget the added advantage of sub contracting spark works out in the beginning to build up contacts. That is what I am doing at the moment and for domestic plumbing you will only need to get a spark out for showers and extractor fans etc that will prob set you or the customer back about 60 quid ! Let everyone know how good the part p course is though mate , cheers john

Today, the group has been divided into 2 parts. One half doing low carbon steel and the other half doing bending copper pipes with a bit of soldering. The report so far, please gorgeous get some more threading kit for the LCS. There's a queue a mile long waiting for the kit and its blunt at best. Someone said they could do better using their teeth.

Kudos, for Simon all reports are good. He meanders around the workshop giving priceless gems of information in a very quiet and positive manner.

On a different note I have enjoyed reading John Mcginty's posts very positive Thanks

Just struggled through the low carbon steel part of the course. Massive thanks to steve and simon for their tireless support and patience.
Suburban Plumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The New VIY Thread class of Jan 09 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hi All Back in 2007 I was working in an office bored to tears and was looking for a career change, I had always been a bit of a DIYer and...
Replies
Views
johnmcginty
J
D
Hi all, I'm posting here on behalf of my flatmate who's from Lithuania. His spoken English is pretty good but he finds writing more difficult...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
A
Hi, I've been in contact with NCS recently and went to have a chat with one of their lot earlier today about it all. He told me that, after...
Replies
Views
david williams
D
J
Hello. I'm currently halfway, just short of, through a ND for I.T practitioners in Software Development at college, I chose it as I have a passion...
Replies
Views
uug197h
U
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock