Search the forum,

Discuss overpayment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vanessa.raine

Overpayment
To whom it may concern,

I accidently cracked my basin in my flat and made contact with my agent to let them know.
i asked if the insurance covered this and was told no.

She said she would let me know the pricing, she never did. the next thing the plumber comes into the flat and repairs it.

I then receive a bill of £450. I was told the agent paid it directly and i was to reimburse them not the plumber.

I was shocked that a small job of replacing a sink which normally costs around £70 could take so long and cost so much.

After much upset and rudeness form my agency for the flat I have had to pay it but feel absolutely robbed.

Should I be? Is this overpayment?

regards

Vanessa

Dear Tom,

The basin cost £70 and the the labour he charged was £280 vat excluded and two congestion charge trips.

The plumber refused flatly to justify how much time he was there but to put in a sink surely it doesn't take a whole day?

Vanessa

You will have to read your terms of your tenency agreement. I am pretty sure in saying that they nobody can force you to pay this amount as there was no pricing agreement before work started .ie estimates, hourly rates, parts etc. In this case you then pay them a reasonable amount for the work done. Dont pay them till you seek legal help. My advice is for guidance only.

smells a bit fishy to me ask to see a copy of the insurance many letting agencies employ handy men for just this type of work to keep the costs down if you are being asked to pay for the repair I would think it only reasonable to get a complete break down of the bill including the hourly rate and the time taken to do the job also ask to see evidence of invoice as they must have one to claim back the vat good luck:)regards turnpin

The agent never paid anyone,the landlord did,incorrectly probably,which is why they were heavy to get paid to re-emburse,incorrect deduction

They should have got payment from you and then pay plumber,which is why ,they should have got your approval first

You should have been told the price up front and the agents have not acted correctly however now you have paid,you probably have lost any bargaining tool

Break down would be like below

You say basin £ 70.00
miscellaneous materials £ 29.00
Congestion charge*2 £ 20.00
Labour 4 hrs £ 274.00 (reasonable central london rates )

Sub Total £ 393.00

vat £ 68.77 ......or an extra hour

total £ 461.77

Its a hard lesson you have learned,through being honest,never trust a agent,the more you get to know them ,the more you realise this

you could ask to see invoice but you will see one total and they will have a credit note somewhere against part of it
:(:(

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,
Im new to this forum but not to plumbing and I'm with Puddle on this.The breakdown of charges is entirely feasable.There is,in the uk, a misconception that a guy who wears overalls "shouldn't be earning this or that".What many customers who fortunately for them are on PAYE, and work in someone elses office often fail to see is the logistics and admin behind the business.Training,business insurance,van upkeep and insurance, and repairs.Tool purchase, TAX, NI contributions and so on.The list is endless and lets not forget the weekends estimating jobs for free which you dont get and nights at the pc working out accounts.
£50 an hour to fit a basin...........PAH its a bargain..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to overpayment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm 29 years old currently studying a npa pre apprentice in plumbing at the inverness college. I've tryed myself to gain apprenticeship but its so hard I've had no choice but to do this course in the off chance the lectures will do there best. Before this I came close in getting a plumbing...
Replies
Views
M
Today I was made to feel really awkward by a customer. We have worked for them before so I assumed they were used to our prices. I had to re-fit a large, heavy basin which was siliconed and bolted to the wall. I replaced the leaking waste and had to scrape out loads of silicone from inside the...
Replies
Views
mike_s
M
R
Hi there, sorry for the long post. We are getting desperate here and could use some advice. :( For about 5 weeks now the kitchen sink has been blocked which means we cannot use the washing machine or obviously the kitchen sink (we have to wash dishes in the bathtub which hurts our backs). We...
Replies
Views
petercj
P
M
i know lots of people have asked similar questions although this is a basic website would anybody consider this a useful tool for pricing jobs. Im in training at college, about to start C&G Level 3 but as yet cannot find anyone offering work experience but have been asked by family and...
Replies
Views
Bernie2
B
H
I was asked for a qoute to replace a standard kitchen sink and fit a pre purchased monobloc tap i told the fella that if it is a straight swap over with no hitches it would be £110 if i had to trim worksurface to new size it would be £150, the customer told me there and then that i am too...
Replies
Views
plumbster3456
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock