Search the forum,

Discuss This goes out to Qualified plumbers inverness and Ross shire area. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'm 29 years old currently studying a npa pre apprentice in plumbing at the inverness college. I've tryed myself to gain apprenticeship but its so hard I've had no choice but to do this course in the off chance the lectures will do there best.
Before this I came close in getting a plumbing apprenticeship from the highland council. Out of 60 applicants only 8 got interviewed and did a snipef test. so I guess I was lucky to of gotten that far due to my own experience that I did my own bathroom with photographs showing start to finish stages, flushing out my own central heating system by removing each radiator and flushing it out with the garden hose, I've changed kitchen taps, replaced the non return valve in my kitchen and I'm addicted to you tube for getting the research to fill full the jobs I've done.
The reason I decided I wanted to do this trade was after i was ripped of by a plumbing company without any notice that he price doubled when i got the invoice and how i then decided there is a lot of bad trades men and not enough of the good ones. So i then decided i want to become a good qualified plumber! i did my own research on the plumbing world and for an individual trade i cant believe how wide spread it is. there is so much theory and regulations you need and the knowledge comes in time. I'm a long shot away from this but i am trying. I cant succeed in this career without apprenticeship So please if your looking for a helping hand and you qualified I wouldn't let you down!

The question is I'm I too old? Ill state all the positives about myself. Firstly I would appreciate the job, I would be punctually everyday and whiling to learn. at the same time id always be on command getting told what to do or whats next to do, from evening making cups of tea I will!
I am practical with my hands i also have my own plumbing tools from Makita lxt drill to a olive remover! also i have a full clean driving licence, means cheap vehicle insurance for you! I don't drink alcohol or smoke, meaning i wont be phoning in sick or late or having cigarette breaks every 5mins. i am very responsible. I'm that passionate I've had to rent out my own property, to live with the girl friends parents to further this career. If this doesn't show how desperate I am, I don't know what Is.

kind regards
Darren Mackenzie.
P.s
thank you for your reading time and all advice is welcomed. I'd even work for free to show how much of a hard worker I am.

your local collage will have a list of firms they use for apprentices???? mine has.
your defo tring keep picking aat it yourll get there in the end a hell of alot of training will come from the real world not on a course you in a training bay or classroom with tutors over your shoulders. its only when your on a job with head under the floor boards or trying to get round the back of a tank your brain really starts working and you ask your self the best way to do it not a tutor. dont think im having a dig im not..

Thanks mate. I know I've got a long way and the lecturers can only do what they can so i keep asking lots of questions at least that way there earning what they get paid for.lol.
would my age be a problem if you were looking to take on apprentice?

im an apprentice/trainee at 24 but have years on the tools not just plumbing

Darren
Good luck mate, I wish you all the best you sound like a good guy & I hope you get sorted.

Inverness firms, like most other parts of the UK, have had a huge dip in work load so the area around you it's quite tough, however, if you spread your wings a little you may come up with something. Aberdeen for example is still booming for Plumbers, even north west Aberdeenshire is busy. I worked up there a couple of weeks ago & I could've got 100 of jobs, with people even speaking to me when I was sitting in the van having my piece!!!

In this trade you always need to be a bit mobile.
HTH

Thanks mate. I really appreciate it! What would you recommend about the end the of the course or even when I don't find apprenticeship? I don't want to leave down in aberdeen as money is already tight as a student.
I don't want to keep wasting my time in the off chance of getting apprenticeship. ii can only try now but if nothing comes from it i can probably can close the book and think of something else. I know i would of been good plumber but should of done it when I left school when the chances were bigger for apprenticeships.

Darren, nobody is going to hand you a job, you need to get off your rear end & find it. You phone every company you can, you offer to work for nothing for a short while, you show them your commitment, willingness & positive attitude.

It's a trade you're joining, you start at the bottom & work up that's how you learn, that's how you gain respect. Don't chuck in the towel now, you've only just started!!!

Thanks mate, I've already phoned and asked about still the same answer. Thats why ive started this course as this is my last option. This local guy has my number and Im still waiting on him to phone so I can help him for free. In less your a friend or relation to a plumber it's going to be hard to standout from the other guys in my position. I even will work for free to show how desperate I am wanting this.
Im always going to have problems compared to these school leavers fresh out of school.

I'm 29 years old currently studying a npa pre apprentice in plumbing at the inverness college. I've tryed myself to gain apprenticeship but its so hard I've had no choice but to do this course in the off chance the lectures will do there best.
Before this I came close in getting a plumbing apprenticeship from the highland council. Out of 60 applicants only 8 got interviewed and did a snipef test. so I guess I was lucky to of gotten that far due to my own experience that I did my own bathroom with photographs showing start to finish stages, flushing out my own central heating system by removing each radiator and flushing it out with the garden hose, I've changed kitchen taps, replaced the non return valve in my kitchen and I'm addicted to you tube for getting the research to fill full the jobs I've done.
The reason I decided I wanted to do this trade was after i was ripped of by a plumbing company without any notice that he price doubled when i got the invoice and how i then decided there is a lot of bad trades men and not enough of the good ones. So i then decided i want to become a good qualified plumber! i did my own research on the plumbing world and for an individual trade i cant believe how wide spread it is. there is so much theory and regulations you need and the knowledge comes in time. I'm a long shot away from this but i am trying. I cant succeed in this career without apprenticeship So please if your looking for a helper and someone who is trustworthy and reliable I wont let you down!

The question is I'm I too old? Ill state all the positives about myself. Firstly I would appreciate the job, I would be punctually everyday and whiling to learn. at the same time id always be on command getting told what to do or whats next to do, from evening making cups of tea I will!
I am practical with my hands i also have my own plumbing tools from Makita lxt drill to a olive remover! also i have a full clean driving licence, means cheap vehicle insurance for you! I don't drink alcohol or smoke, meaning i wont be phoning in sick or late or having cigarette breaks every 5mins. i am very responsible. I'm that passionate I've had to rent out my own property, to live with the girl friends parents to further this career. If this doesn't show how desperate I am, I don't know what Is.

kind regards
Darren Mackenzie.
P.s
thank you for your reading time and all advice is welcomed. I'd even work for free to show how much of a hard worker I am.

you have to keep picking at it call them all up egen resend CV emails
even drop into the office if its a big firm go round plumbers merchants as if you can pop a note in the window
or print up some little flyer type things get down wickes b&q plumbers merchants and put them on van windows.
you dont know till you try it then probs when you at your lowest point something will come up sods law

British Gas are looking for apprentices on Aberdeen and Inverness or about to start so my mate tells me.

Any chance you could find out how I could look into this further? I've tryed there website but no luck in finding any apprenticeships for inverness area. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to This goes out to Qualified plumbers inverness and Ross shire area. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock