Discuss Help with pricing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbob

Gas Engineer
Hi, iv not long been self employed and have be subcontracting under the CIS so its been pretty simple. Iv been asked to price up a heating system for a large 6 bedroom cottage, also the fitting of a grant A rated oil boiler and unvented cylinder. Renewing all pipework in hep and copper where visible. And fitting of customer supplied Bathroom and downstairs toilet like for like. Everything else i will supply. Iv also allowed for an electrician.

The price iv come up with is £7200, i dont know if this is reasonable or expensive... or am i doing myself over? Im pretty sure iv allowed for every eventuality and fitting:rolleyes:

thanks, james

is it your first full c/h job ?
have you done anything similar to compare with?
to prepare an estimate, you would work out the hours needed then times it by your hourly rate.
on a big job allow for at leat 3 return visits, day after hand over, week after, and 3 months after.

post your estimate here, let those who wish to rip it to shreds and those who wish to help, provide constuctive critisicm.

good luck
shaun

Iv done many jobs and even organised them when i was employed. Just never had anything to do on the money side of things. Was always told to allow 10% for overheads. I think iv allowed enough for visits. Iv allowed 2135 for labour, that includes cost of an electrician and also to get a friend in for oil as im not oftec. Thanks

sorry cant help..to vaugue.
6 bed + bath re-fit middle of nowhere 2 others to contract, a stab at £8,500

jim, post a copy of the estimate you have prepared for the client !

shaun

Hi Jimbob - when contracting with cis deductions for a while ,this problem seems to occur for most of us as easy to get out of the pricing game and current climate,especially when its not just a combi swap! For the type of work you are doing I would personally be wanting minimum of £1500 for my lab as there will be a fair bit of organising there and it will therefore be you going backwards and forwards more than anyone else and sorting things out on many levels. If you are supplying materials I would also add a bit extra into the equasion for uneventualities, or put something in writting to cover yourself. Think Redsaw right about timescale, these types of jobs can involve long days and a week can go quickly and the type of customers I imagine you have here, will want a nice job doing by a professional to a high standard, so charge accordingly and make it worth your while.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jimbo, There is a difference when contracting direct. Responsibility for the installation, in my experience for life. So make allowances, as its a different world to subbing. It sounds like 3k labour plus materials. Get the client to sign up to stage payments, EG deposit, plus say 2 stage payments. These jobs do not always go to plan, so if its three weeks work it may run over due to domestic situations, material delays, deaths and marrages, etc. Get covered for any eventuallity. If the clients are genuine they will except your terms. Good Luck

for some reason it wont let me copy my quote onto this screen for some reason. well I think iv allowed plenty, i allowed 13 days for the job. plus extra for travel and transporting gear etc. Will have to make up an agreement of somekind as i got another couple of jobs of a similar size to price. Anybody got anykind of document i could use as guidance for doing one. Iv got a friend who does work for them and he says there sound.

CIS makes it so easy, still trying to get my head around the book keeping side of things.

jimbo,
you need to publish the quote into html: first.
ie set up as m/s powerpoint or email it to yourself copy and paste to thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with pricing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, At our old flat, we had a combi boiler which dealt with heating and hot water without an additional tank. There was an external timer...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 126113
D
Hi, Any help, advice or personal experience appreciated. We are supplied by a lead pipe but on a shared supply. I am about house 4 out of a run...
Replies
Views
Hello. Thank you in advance for any advice. It is much appreciated. I am interested in converting our home from oil central heating to a gas...
Replies
Views
Right, ok folks this could be a long one so please bear with me, I've been asked to replace a currently vented cyclinder with a new Unvented (...
Replies
Views
So I'm new to Internet forums and new to commissioning a new CH system... any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm pretty confused by all the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock