Search the forum,

Discuss Hive installation - dual zone heating with Combi boiler and hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

At our old flat, we had a combi boiler which dealt with heating and hot water without an additional tank. There was an external timer next to the boiler, and a room thermostat (manual) in the hallway. I was able to replace the latter with a receiver and wireless (not smart) thermostat, which we were able to move around the flat. I simply left the programmer by the boiler set to on/continuous, and it worked without issue.

We're now at a 2015-built, 4-bed, three-storey house (WC, first floor bathroom and second floor en-suite), where we have:

• Glowworm Ultracom 18HXi combi boiler (with external Honeywell ST9100A timer)
  • Two Honeywell CM907 thermostats (ground floor and second floor)
  • OSO hotwater indirect unvented hot water cylinder
I've done some reading and believe that the above means we're on an S Plan Plus system. I think (based on using taps etc.) that the boiler is supplying the downstairs with hot water, and the cylinder is supplying the first and second floor bathrooms. It fires up every now and then during the day (without taps being switched on), so maybe it's supplying a smaller tank internally? Shrugs

I'm looking to install Hive - in my head, I should be able to simply replace the two Honeywell thermostats with the central heating / combi boiler versions only...the receivers will replace the thermostats just like my old flat, and simply switch on and off as needed based on the wireless Hive thermostats in the respective rooms. Again, per the flat, I would leave the timer as is, switched to continuous.

Am I right in thinking that this should work without issue also?

Thanks

Your boiler isn’t a combi (Cxi) it’s a heat only (HXi), but probably with a sealed system setup form the unvented. I suggest a Hive multizone.

Thanks (again!) @Undertrained. Boiler naming makes sense I suppose

So does my suggestion work in principle - two wireless Hive (heating only, no DH) thermostats, where the receivers will replace the existing Honeywell thermostats, and I will just need to mount the wireless thermostats in the respective rooms?

I'm planning to replace the radiator valves with Hive also (Mrs and I work from home, so are in different rooms at different times of day).

I had that exact same setup a few years ago with hive. I bought 2 systems ( heat only)(toolstation had a good deal) rather than the expensive multi zone option. I ended up with 2 accounts on hive and just pestered the call centre to migrate the data to a single account login to see the 2 devices...they eventually did.

I had that exact same setup a few years ago with hive. I bought 2 systems ( heat only)(toolstation had a good deal) rather than the expensive multi zone option. I ended up with 2 accounts on hive and just pestered the call centre to migrate the data to a single account login to see the 2 devices...they eventually did.

Thanks @hometech - their current offering isn't explained very well as they don't sell a specific "multi zone" option anymore - seems they just rely on the standard wireless receivers with HW and CH or combi variants. Sounds like my suggested implementation should work based on your own setup then

Thanks @hometech - their current offering isn't explained very well as they don't sell a specific "multi zone" option anymore - seems they just rely on the standard wireless receivers with HW and CH or combi variants. Sounds like my suggested implementation should work based on your own setup then
it will. Worst case is you need 2 logins (accounts). Suggest you create the first account and then call them about adding the second unit to the account

Hi - I did, thanks - though I had a sparky fit them as some specific wiring was needed to achieve this. I now have the two transmitters in the cupboard with the hot water cylinder and where all the valves are for the zones.

Thanks all for the assist
Which types of receiver did you use? The single channel or dual channel?

I was unable to create a second account for the second receiver as the hub was already associated with my original Hive set up. Did you have to install a second hive hub?

The set up I am looking to control is:
  • one CH zone
  • two hot water cylinders

Hive seems to allow multiple CH zones, but only ever 1 HW zone

Reply to Hive installation - dual zone heating with Combi boiler and hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock