Search the forum,

Discuss leak detection fluid - respirator to use this stuff? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Been meaning to ask this for a while now.

Commercial leak detection fluid - the stuff in the hand-pump action spray bottle - it makes me cough and I feel a choking sensation at the back of my throat every time I use it. I keep well away from the thing I'm spraying, but I still get the unpleasant sharp tang and a desire to cough.

I can't find any safety info (SDS sheet) to tell me to wear a respirator or vapour-grade PPE, so, is this stuff corrosive/toxic/injurious to health if breathed in over some period of (prolonged?) use?

The label warns of 'serious eye irritation' , so I wear safety glasses, but claims the delivery method is 'non-aerosol spray' and there is no explicit precautionary against breathing in the overspray.

I can't be the only one that has this reaction to the stuff??

I’ve noticed in the last couple of years the same I’ve switched brand

Which specific product are you talking about? There are many that match your description.

Anyway, all such products have to have a COSHH datasheet. Go to a big online supplier, like BES or RS and search for the product, then look for the downloadable COSHH sheet on the product page. E.g. Cura leak detector from BES:

has the sheet in the 'Product Attachments' section.

As a general rule, all sprays produce aerosols to some extent and you don't want to inhale any of them. If it irritates your eyes it's a racing certainty that your lungs won't like it much either.

Or I find using a brush better if you have too

I found the COSHH - it seems the culprit is an ingredient called Bronopol at <1% concentration.

Wikipedia lists a string of hazard warnings appropriate for this product - one of which is

H335 - may cause respiratory irritation

I would agree

Reply to leak detection fluid - respirator to use this stuff? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

G
Hi all , good day to you. I studied at the (cough, cough) BTSC , yes thats right stop the jeering ! And am now looking to complete my level 2 NVQ . I've managed to get a few bits and pieces signed off and have until September to do the rest. This is the full list of requirements expected for...
Replies
Views
GomezZz
G
P
From the look of what's on the forum board, there does not seem to be too much in the way of big plumbing works being posted, I might have been lucky and been in the right place/time/etc, and been on some large works over my time on the tools, now in later years when I have the time to sit and...
Replies
Views
Plouasne
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock