Discuss Getting the cheapest possible bargain price on your heating install. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive tried persuading my mom to stop going with cheapest quotes for all work she has done on the house. So far she had 0 good experiences literally all work has issues. You should see the state of the boiler, patio, lawn, paintwork, lamenate floor with no underlay list goes on.. and it was all meant to be done by professionals.

Unfortunately these bad experiences didn't make her think about rock bottom quotes she gone for each time, no. Rather that its all the trades people arent reliable!

None of these people will ever realise the failure of their project is actually their fault. Selecting the right contractor is half of the job! And choosing the lowest quote is the surest way to undermine the quality of the job.

The lowest quote doesn't mean the worst job in some situations.

I was asked to quote on job I didn't want, so I tried to quote myself out of it - simply by quoting 50% higher than I normally would for labour and materials.

Well I got the job and it was bad - but nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated.

Made some real good dough out of that one.

people have to get out of the frame of mind all tradesmen are trying to rip them off I take the points of the last few posters but you can read between the lines and pick up on the suspicious undertones. Why does something cost what it costs? Why can't the plumber match the prices I found on the Internet? I have seen on eBay that I can get a boiler install from £1200 Why is my Installer so much more expensive? The answer to all these questions is communication. An engineer quoting for the work for you should never mind answering questions A decent install will cost a decent amount of money simple as. The problem is people don't ask questions and then get angry when something isn't done as they expected. with the best will in the world we are gas engineers and can probably provide quite a lot of information we think would be relevant to you but we can't second-guess those nagging questions you might have. in most instances, unless I am working for a builder I will send my customer a full breakdown of the works to be carried out so that they know where I need to be and what I need to do. for example , access to the airing cupboard, access to the loft, access to the gas meter buried in the back of your garage , we will have to run a new gas carcass because.

I know the unexpected will crop up from time to time but then it is down to the installer and the customer to act like adults and work it out. Problem is this is when customers think the tradesmen is trying to rip them off when more often than not they aren't

The above is not a dig at the previous posters as I do see their point but often customers need to look past The cheap costs they find online to what an installer actually has to pay out it's not boiler on the wall job done.
We also have
fittings
pipe
inline descaler
inline filter
Power flush
Chemicals
Materials for making good flue holes
controls to bring in line with Part L
labour
12 month guarantee and follow up for any issues after installing if any
Then on top of it we have admin costs Van
insurance (van, pli)
Yearly accreditation (gas safe)
Renewing accreditation (every 5 years Gas safe, unvented etc)
calibration of flue analyser
Fuel
Labour you don't see like running to and from merchants for all materials for your job
labour after hours registering your boiler correctly with manufacturers and LBC
uniform
no doubt there're obvious ones I've missed but please don't think that everything you're charged over the top of the boiler goes straight in our pocket as it doesn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting the cheapest possible bargain price on your heating install. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Here's the back up poll for people who were ineligible for the free boiler, but nevertheless put pen to paper in an orgy of rhyming couplets and...
Replies
Views
Masood
M
S
FirstlyI dont want to be all doom and gloom but feel i want to share my position and see what everyone else thinks. I joined BG 18 years ago and...
Replies
Views
diamondgas
D
S
I haven't started a thread for such a long time and I have the urge to write something so here goes: This thread is meant for the people just...
Replies
Views
T
A £400 opportunity to upstage Warmfront Part of the criticism of Warmfront is the dubious reliability of some boilers they supply, the...
Replies
Views
the baker
T
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock