Search the forum,

Discuss My 2p worth in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

I haven't started a thread for such a long time and I have the urge to write something so here goes:

This thread is meant for the people just entering the industry or wanting to. I have done a couple of similar threads before but this one is different (I think).

Firstly, I completed a fast track course which was 10 weeks incl. Part p, unvented cylinders, water regs and a couple of other bits....

I have been a plumber now for 2 years working for the best part on my own. So, anyone whose starting or wants to start in this industry, here's want I've learnt:

Plumbing is far from easy! Obviously. Just because you have a length of copper and a spanner your not a plumber. This industry is hateful, you can toil all day and for no reason you have a drip, sometimes, this involves cutting the pipe and starting a proportion of the work again. I installed a toilet in a property, no leaks done in an hour, (easy work) had to dismantle it again a week later (customer not happy and needed to tile behind it, could've told me that b4!) putting it all back, I couldn't stop it leaking......... thats plumbing. If this job goes wrong it goes wrong fast. I've watched someone change a ball valve live, I begged them not to do it but it wasn't my job I was assisting, we, didn't have enough towels for the carnage.....

Plumbing is not glamourous: customers want a lovely bathroom suite, state of the art and don't mind paying for the suite but are (in general) not interested in changing the problematic lead pipe coming in to the house. They'll spend huge amounts of money on the tap but will only want to pay silly money to have it installed.

Customers don't want to spend any money on things they don't see. There will be an Aston Martin on the drive but pay £75 to stop a pipe dripping HOW MUCH! £4000 to service the car is a talking point, so, is the bathroom but having a new 3 port valve fitted to have heating and hot water. Well, just not interesting. Then there is the customer who you see and its Where would you run the pipe then? would you use plastic? how do you run the waste? would you drain the system? As soon as the first question is asked you know its a waste of time.

This may come across as a little bitter but this is not the case. This is how it is. You develop your own way of dealing with the customer. Whether its cagey or just a shrug of the shoulders.

Following a lot of posts on here about pricing turns into a nightmare and when you start it is very difficult. Now I find it relatively easy, if your daily rate is £100 and you have a ball valve to do that is £50 + parts. I think of it like this:
I start work at 9.00 and you can't turn the water off, theres no light or boarding in the loft, no loft ladder, no isolating valve, the pipe work is awful and you can't undo the ball valve. So, 2 hours your out by 11 ish. Thats half a day. If your next job is at 1pm what do you do between 11 and 1pm! Ok, then if the job is the opposite, water is easy to turn off boarding and lighting etc then you can drop the charge but then its a personal choice.

I never (now) start work at 11am because the customer has a day off and wants a lie in. The reason is simple, if the job goes a bit pear shape you'll find yourself there earning half a days money and using the whole day. When I'm quoting a slightly bigger job then I'll use my day rate cost of parts +10% (depending) and then add £10 for consumables. Gas, flux, screws the endless trip to the van for that 1 extra elbow, where and tear on tools....

Remember, when you start out, you have all the extra costs that you don't think about when pricing, accountant, fuel, tax, liability insurance etc the list is endless. So, that sharp intake the customer does, well, let them have your costs. I now never negotiate on price either pay or get someone else. A good point and my final point on this is: if you say to a customer it'll cost about £50 and your there an extra 2 hours because of work you couldn't possibly fore see at the end of the customer will hand you £50 before you even hand them a bill.

When you start out, you want to take on all jobs don't be afraid to walk away. I recently had to price a bathroom job and the customer had already bought the bath, well it didn't fit into the room. The shower fitted was a 7.5 kw the new shower was 9kw obviously had to increase the cable. Well, according to the man in the shop who sold it that wasn't the case. I respectfully declined the job. We were disagreeing straight from the beginning. Its only going to end badly.

If you have an opportunity, work with someone whose good, whether they're good or not you'll know within a couple of hours. I work with 2 others now and the things they've taught me are unbelievable, what you can or cannot get away with! No, I don't work for free but I don't get my day rate. Its much reduced but sometimes its good to be told what to do and not have the responsibility.

Finally, take your time don't rush, a job will always take longer than you think. If it doesn't your on a bonus. If you don't know something ask! the manufacturer, your supplier anyone. Take pictures and don't worry about sitting in your van for 5 minutes to get that sense of perspective back, sometime you won't be able to see the wood for the trees.

Well, I hope someone has found this useful.....................

Brilliant post Squirrel, the only thing you are doing wrong is material cost plus 10%, that is no where near enough, min 25-30% on top of the price you pay, OR charge retail price, and always charge a minimum price for something, like a blank cap, no point in adding your 10% to a £0.50 fitting, its not worth the bother, say you are blanking a cooker supply pipe, charge your 1hr labour rate then £4 for parts incl consumables (in this case a blank, solder flux gas etc) as the discount you get is trade which you have earned, its up to you to choose (always go for the largest profit to you)

If materials cost me £400 then that's £800 to the customer
they could not buy it for less
plus day rate £360 per man per day
Service that is provided goes unseen
do not work for beans
do a proper job and charge a proper price
any monkey can be busy very little
I have put my 2p worth in

If materials cost me £400 then that's £800 to the customer
they could not buy it for less
plus day rate £360 per man per day
Service that is provided goes unseen
do not work for beans
do a proper job and charge a proper price
any monkey can be busy very little
I have put my 2p worth in

you are perfectly entitled to charge what you want for materials, if the retail price is £800 and thats what they pay then you are entitled to charge them that amount, if you buy them cheaper you have earned the discount by repeat sales why should your customer benefit from what is a one off sale, however a lot of suppliers dont charge retail to anyone so its all about charging what you can get, and nothing wrong with that,

Excellent Post Squirrel, im in exactly the same boat as you but been in it for almost 5 years. i find my biggest problem is i cant say no. some times i will walk into a job and know whats coming but for some reason i feel sorry for the customer because all the other plumbers have walked away already. i just cant help it, one thing in this game is toughen up and dont get taken for a ride. i try to but just cant bring myself to walk away from some people.

I'm a little over 3 years in after fast tracking (BOO HISS!)

I had a customer who was a little bullying recently and demanded immediate attention. I installed a kitchen tap. Cost £50 for the tap and job took an hour. Invoiced them for £150. They were happy and I was happy.

Had another customer demanding immediate attention. Circulating pump failed. Went to buy new one and cost £74 and job took an hour (in the house). Charged £175. They were happy and I was happy.

It's taken me nearly 3 years to learn that if a customer expects quick attention then they'll be happy to pay for it. I've never had a complaint since charging these prices and not yet lost a customer. Conversely, the more I like a customer, the less I charge them.

Great post, Squirrel - I enjoyed reading it and have found very similar experiences to you.

thank you squirrel for such a good post plenty in there to get the noggin working. i also am a fairly new plumber of two years.

If materials cost me £400 and i charged £800 for them there would be no chance of me getting the job the way things are at the minute. Must be good were you are.

Things are good but I travel for my work hence I charge for it

If materials cost you £400 & you charge £800 it wont be long before the customer realises he could of bought them himself for less than you are charging! Sorry but its practices like this that get plumbers their 'rip off ' reputation & gives us plumbers a bad name. We all like to make a bit, but there is making a bit & 'making a bit'!

If materials cost you £400 & you charge £800 it wont be long before the customer realises he could of bought them himself for less than you are charging! Sorry but its practices like this that get plumbers their 'rip off ' reputation & gives us plumbers a bad name. We all like to make a bit, but there is making a bit & 'making a bit'!

if it cost you 400 and the customer could only buy it for 800 i dont see the prob with this... i go to wickes and b and q - check out there prices and charge the customer them prices...

10 mm compression tee in b and q = 8 quid for example

if it cost you 400 and the customer could only buy it for 800 i dont see the prob with this... i go to wickes and b and q - check out there prices and charge the customer them prices...

10 mm compression tee in b and q = 8 quid for example

Do you give pensioners 20% discount on a wednesday?
I'm the same as the next man who wants to make a bit on materials, but i can honestly say i dont get 50% discount over what Joe Public could buy the same for from my local merchant!

I agree some prices quoted on here i dont understand how they get the jobs ! If you can then fair enough. But round here you wouldnt get the job, or you wouldnt get any more work off them. As above i dont know where you can get 50% discount on materials either,

local merchant is more expansive then tool-station and screw fix like %30-%50

Exactly..screwfix & tool-station are always packed with Joe Public who are more wise about prices than some people think! This is also an open forum for Joe Public to view, stating that material prices are charged out at more than original prices & labour charges of £360 a day is insane in my view, then people wonder why they dont have much work & why customers shop around for a good quote!!! Its giving plumbers a bad name!!

for central London this prices are spot on ,worked for company in Kensington charge rate was £90 for the first half hour then £90 per hour plus the cost of materials and parking and all consumables
off hours £120 for the first 30 min then £120 per hour
Customers had no problem with it they were happy paying !

I buy as much as possible from my local merchants for five reasons (that I can think of):

1. They're local
2. They deliver large items (and would a small item in an emergency)
3. They're friendly
4. They give me enough of a discount now that they're cheaper than Screwfix and others of that genre.
5. They have a pretty good range of stock and can order many other items not normally in stock.

I buy as much as possible from my local merchants for five reasons (that I can think of):

1. They're local
2. They deliver large items (and would a small item in an emergency)
3. They're friendly
4. They give me enough of a discount now that they're cheaper than Screwfix and others of that genre.
5. They have a pretty good range of stock and can order many other items not normally in stock.

I deal with a local family run merchant & have done so for 20years at least & all because of the reasons above...i get good discounts but never 50%.

I went through some tough times because I felt sorry for punters but I don't take any less that £75 ex vat for a job now. What I found was I'd take all that rubbish on for £50 a time then you get the pan that won't seal, that tap cartridge you can't find etc etc and while you are doing that the £3k bathroom job is running behind and the cheque is not in your hand on time and the bills still come out the bank, without waiting for you to finish a job off.

I did a job three years ago on the cheap for a landlord and he called me today because the pressure is rising on the boiler, which has a five year warranty. He said "They will charge if it's not a boiler problem will you nip up and have a look first." I said "Sure how do you want to pay?" Silence said it all. "How much?" " £90 including the VAT and it's Saturday afternoon but since you are a previous customer i'll go for my standard rate" "But you fitted it and gave me the five year warranty?" "Yes, three years ago, I can't see it being an installation issue at all." So i suggested he check the filling loop and if it's not that to wait for Vaillant.

Now I could have went couldn't I and used some of the £90s worth of fuel I put in my van on Friday, left the family for a couple of hours etc etc. Interestingly enough I haven't serviced it for thae last two years so if the expansion vessel is low pressure Vaillant will bill him and I hope they do.

Merchants will sell to the public at the same price as us the internet has seen to that. On big ticket stuff your lucky to make 5-10% getting the VAT back is the only plus if you are registered that is. If your not then it pays to be registered in this game. You can make a decent margin on fittings and pipe as you will always be cheaper than the sheds even with 50% added on so to me that's fair enough. You have to hold stock, go and collect it, you know what will do the job first time so no-one should complain about that. If they do they can go to the local handyman and pay twice. I don't mind getting the odd raised eyebrow as I believe the price will be forgotten if a good, puctual job is done and having the odd comment on your prices means you are about right. Wouldn't be the first time I have done a job and when asking how he got me he said that he'd been let down and I'd been recommended but he knew it wouldn't be cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
MARK UP & CUSTOMER SUPPLYING PARTS;

Whilst I don't agree with a huge mark up, I think a mark up is required, maybe 10% is a bit low! depends on how the individual feels.

Yes, I agree that the customer can go and supply parts (which as we all know does happen) and just wants to pay for the labour.

Then the labour costs can spiral out of control. If the customer has supplied the new hot water cylinder you fit it and then the thing leaks (the cylinder is faulty) it is then the customers responsibility to replace that cylinder! do you then sit there and wait getting paid for it, go home and come back the next day etc.

The other problem with the customer supplying the cylinder (just chosen a cylinder at random) is that there is now a debate (possibly) over the remainder of the parts. Tank connectors bit of 22mm here and there etc.

The other issue about not making a mark up is time and fuel: I recently had to do a new cold water tank install, I had to go to 3 different suppliers to buy everything needed. So, to do this at cost I would have lost out on labour.

Also, if the customer buys the wrong part, too big/small etc. You are being paid for sitting there waiting. Or the customer says "just sort it out" then the half days work now turns into practically all day whilst you sort out the parts. Again you have issues over the cost of labour.

One more point on customer supplying parts:

Go back to the cylinder for a moment; we all know that water is a pig! you can leave it for a couple of days and its all fine THEN! so, you pop back and the cylinder/tap (whatever) has developed a fault. Customer has supplied the part, do you then do the work for free to correct the cylinder/tap etc? or do you spend a morning disconnecting it all, then another half day sorting it all out again OR do you charge! arguments that you just don't need.

These are issues that customers do not consider when they buy the parts. Yes, they probably can buy them a bit cheaper......................

Just one more small point, I (just personal choice) prefer quality waste fitting, I find them easier to use leak less etc etc. The cost of these is are more that the cheaper fitting at the sheds but if you spend more on quality components, sometimes, you save on labour costs..

Agree totally with the waste fittings, there is some real cheap rubbish fittings out there. As for customer buying taps/cylinders i always stress before i fit them that if there is a future problem with it and they call me back, then there will be a charge to fix, even if it is within the manufacture warrenty. Unless of course it hasnt been fitted correctly or sealed correctly. I know you will still get hassle with customers but hey thats what we all have to put up with. Yes i do agree with mark up as discussed above, and yeah 50% here is not attainable.

You simply have to put a mark up on materials,the amount is a personal decision,I tend to make it around 25%.It depends on the job really,but I can't supply materials at retail price,it would make my quotes too expensive and it just doesn't seem fair to me.

The mark up has to pay towards your time and fuel I agree,it would be interesting to know how many hours each year I spend making lists,getting prices,researching the right materials,etc.It all adds up,and it has to be accounted for somehow.Most people understand this I think.

It can be tricky when customers want to supply their own materials,I agree with the points made about labour being chargeable sorting out problems,but that has to be made clear to the customer at the start and when problems arise there can be difficulty establishing where the line should be drawn.It's fraught with problems I think and I would rather avoid it if possible.I'll supply and I'll sort the problems,which are less likely because it won't be the cheap internet tat that people seem to buy these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
How funny is it that most of us don't think we could get away with charging for parts what B+Q or Wickes do. That one or two-man bands would feel like crooks charging for a few parts at the rate that these huge companies will happily charge for their parts sold by the warehouse-full.

Hmm. Maybe thing to do would be to carry B+Q catalouge and take it out infront of customer while surveying job. Give customer a calculator and point to items going "you'll want two of those, three of those..."

"Ok materials for your syphon change and ball-valve replacement......£109.50"

Hmm. Maybe thing to do would be to carry B+Q catalouge and take it out infront of customer while surveying job. Give customer a calculator and point to items going "you'll want two of those, three of those..."

Try pricing all your jobs from now on from the B & Q catalogue & see if you still have a business in 6 months time!

I always go to plumbing merchants for my fittings, got an account with a local independant one the guys are great and they offer me credit but some of the stuff isn't of good quality. Just applied for an account with wolseley also. B&Q's prices are a joke, and toolstation and screwfix stuff doesnt look too great.

Sounds ok around 109 quid ,materials about 10 thats 20 to the customer at least 50 to even get in the van and the rest is labour
is there any wonder I don`t fit syphons etc

I always go to plumbing merchants for my fittings, got an account with a local independant one the guys are great and they offer me credit but some of the stuff isn't of good quality. Just applied for an account with wolseley also. B&Q's prices are a joke, and toolstation and screwfix stuff doesnt look too great.

I think it's like everything. I use Screwfix and Toolstation for some gear (BUT NOT TRAPS), HWOS for my oil bits solder fittings compression fittings and pumps and the rest from the local build center who have a really good plumbing section.

great thread but its what all trades go through and always will its all about balance on charging for return repairs ect, but youve got to realize being a good plumber its just not plumbing,its being diplomatic and fair and thats when youre name gets around , but try and tell the customer the reason why youve got charge for this and that.youve got a buisness to run and they would do the same im on the 25% side

Do you give pensioners 20% discount on a wednesday?
I'm the same as the next man who wants to make a bit on materials, but i can honestly say i dont get 50% discount over what Joe Public could buy the same for from my local merchant!

joe public shouldnt really be using the trade counter (hence word trade) but they do - but the ones who go there prob do the the job themselves anyway.

Joe Public are entitled to shop wherever they please, but if you are a trader & hold an account with certain merchants, its your loyalty & frequent spending with them that entitles you to trade discounts, therefore Joe Public buys a certain item for X amount of pounds, you buy the same item for 25/30/35% less....my arguement is that you cant charge them twice as much as what you buy it for because it will cost more than what the can buy it for anyway...but by all means add the 25/30/35% back on & charge them that!

I think he's is fine to charge that as he did say it was still roughly retail price. If the customer buys the part and it fails and floods thier house who's insurance does it come out of, how can you guarantee a part you did'nt buy yourself? what if he bought it from india last week and it is total rubbish?

I think he's is fine to charge that as he did say it was still roughly retail price. If the customer buys the part and it fails and floods thier house who's insurance does it come out of, how can you guarantee a part you did'nt buy yourself? what if he bought it from india last week and it is total rubbish?

So to charge the customer double the price of what the customer could buy it for anyway, same part from the same place is ok because if the part fails its your insurance thats liable!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My 2p worth in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days it's increased whilst cold...is this a regular problem.
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock