Discuss My 2p worth in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
MARK UP & CUSTOMER SUPPLYING PARTS;

Whilst I don't agree with a huge mark up, I think a mark up is required, maybe 10% is a bit low! depends on how the individual feels.

Yes, I agree that the customer can go and supply parts (which as we all know does happen) and just wants to pay for the labour.

Then the labour costs can spiral out of control. If the customer has supplied the new hot water cylinder you fit it and then the thing leaks (the cylinder is faulty) it is then the customers responsibility to replace that cylinder! do you then sit there and wait getting paid for it, go home and come back the next day etc.

The other problem with the customer supplying the cylinder (just chosen a cylinder at random) is that there is now a debate (possibly) over the remainder of the parts. Tank connectors bit of 22mm here and there etc.

The other issue about not making a mark up is time and fuel: I recently had to do a new cold water tank install, I had to go to 3 different suppliers to buy everything needed. So, to do this at cost I would have lost out on labour.

Also, if the customer buys the wrong part, too big/small etc. You are being paid for sitting there waiting. Or the customer says "just sort it out" then the half days work now turns into practically all day whilst you sort out the parts. Again you have issues over the cost of labour.

One more point on customer supplying parts:

Go back to the cylinder for a moment; we all know that water is a pig! you can leave it for a couple of days and its all fine THEN! so, you pop back and the cylinder/tap (whatever) has developed a fault. Customer has supplied the part, do you then do the work for free to correct the cylinder/tap etc? or do you spend a morning disconnecting it all, then another half day sorting it all out again OR do you charge! arguments that you just don't need.

These are issues that customers do not consider when they buy the parts. Yes, they probably can buy them a bit cheaper......................

Just one more small point, I (just personal choice) prefer quality waste fitting, I find them easier to use leak less etc etc. The cost of these is are more that the cheaper fitting at the sheds but if you spend more on quality components, sometimes, you save on labour costs..

Agree totally with the waste fittings, there is some real cheap rubbish fittings out there. As for customer buying taps/cylinders i always stress before i fit them that if there is a future problem with it and they call me back, then there will be a charge to fix, even if it is within the manufacture warrenty. Unless of course it hasnt been fitted correctly or sealed correctly. I know you will still get hassle with customers but hey thats what we all have to put up with. Yes i do agree with mark up as discussed above, and yeah 50% here is not attainable.

You simply have to put a mark up on materials,the amount is a personal decision,I tend to make it around 25%.It depends on the job really,but I can't supply materials at retail price,it would make my quotes too expensive and it just doesn't seem fair to me.

The mark up has to pay towards your time and fuel I agree,it would be interesting to know how many hours each year I spend making lists,getting prices,researching the right materials,etc.It all adds up,and it has to be accounted for somehow.Most people understand this I think.

It can be tricky when customers want to supply their own materials,I agree with the points made about labour being chargeable sorting out problems,but that has to be made clear to the customer at the start and when problems arise there can be difficulty establishing where the line should be drawn.It's fraught with problems I think and I would rather avoid it if possible.I'll supply and I'll sort the problems,which are less likely because it won't be the cheap internet tat that people seem to buy these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
How funny is it that most of us don't think we could get away with charging for parts what B+Q or Wickes do. That one or two-man bands would feel like crooks charging for a few parts at the rate that these huge companies will happily charge for their parts sold by the warehouse-full.

Hmm. Maybe thing to do would be to carry B+Q catalouge and take it out infront of customer while surveying job. Give customer a calculator and point to items going "you'll want two of those, three of those..."

"Ok materials for your syphon change and ball-valve replacement......ÂŁ109.50"

Hmm. Maybe thing to do would be to carry B+Q catalouge and take it out infront of customer while surveying job. Give customer a calculator and point to items going "you'll want two of those, three of those..."

Try pricing all your jobs from now on from the B & Q catalogue & see if you still have a business in 6 months time!

I always go to plumbing merchants for my fittings, got an account with a local independant one the guys are great and they offer me credit but some of the stuff isn't of good quality. Just applied for an account with wolseley also. B&Q's prices are a joke, and toolstation and screwfix stuff doesnt look too great.

Sounds ok around 109 quid ,materials about 10 thats 20 to the customer at least 50 to even get in the van and the rest is labour
is there any wonder I don`t fit syphons etc

I always go to plumbing merchants for my fittings, got an account with a local independant one the guys are great and they offer me credit but some of the stuff isn't of good quality. Just applied for an account with wolseley also. B&Q's prices are a joke, and toolstation and screwfix stuff doesnt look too great.

I think it's like everything. I use Screwfix and Toolstation for some gear (BUT NOT TRAPS), HWOS for my oil bits solder fittings compression fittings and pumps and the rest from the local build center who have a really good plumbing section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My 2p worth in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock