Discuss My 2p worth in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

I haven't started a thread for such a long time and I have the urge to write something so here goes:

This thread is meant for the people just entering the industry or wanting to. I have done a couple of similar threads before but this one is different (I think).

Firstly, I completed a fast track course which was 10 weeks incl. Part p, unvented cylinders, water regs and a couple of other bits....

I have been a plumber now for 2 years working for the best part on my own. So, anyone whose starting or wants to start in this industry, here's want I've learnt:

Plumbing is far from easy! Obviously. Just because you have a length of copper and a spanner your not a plumber. This industry is hateful, you can toil all day and for no reason you have a drip, sometimes, this involves cutting the pipe and starting a proportion of the work again. I installed a toilet in a property, no leaks done in an hour, (easy work) had to dismantle it again a week later (customer not happy and needed to tile behind it, could've told me that b4!) putting it all back, I couldn't stop it leaking......... thats plumbing. If this job goes wrong it goes wrong fast. I've watched someone change a ball valve live, I begged them not to do it but it wasn't my job I was assisting, we, didn't have enough towels for the carnage.....

Plumbing is not glamourous: customers want a lovely bathroom suite, state of the art and don't mind paying for the suite but are (in general) not interested in changing the problematic lead pipe coming in to the house. They'll spend huge amounts of money on the tap but will only want to pay silly money to have it installed.

Customers don't want to spend any money on things they don't see. There will be an Aston Martin on the drive but pay £75 to stop a pipe dripping HOW MUCH! £4000 to service the car is a talking point, so, is the bathroom but having a new 3 port valve fitted to have heating and hot water. Well, just not interesting. Then there is the customer who you see and its Where would you run the pipe then? would you use plastic? how do you run the waste? would you drain the system? As soon as the first question is asked you know its a waste of time.

This may come across as a little bitter but this is not the case. This is how it is. You develop your own way of dealing with the customer. Whether its cagey or just a shrug of the shoulders.

Following a lot of posts on here about pricing turns into a nightmare and when you start it is very difficult. Now I find it relatively easy, if your daily rate is £100 and you have a ball valve to do that is £50 + parts. I think of it like this:
I start work at 9.00 and you can't turn the water off, theres no light or boarding in the loft, no loft ladder, no isolating valve, the pipe work is awful and you can't undo the ball valve. So, 2 hours your out by 11 ish. Thats half a day. If your next job is at 1pm what do you do between 11 and 1pm! Ok, then if the job is the opposite, water is easy to turn off boarding and lighting etc then you can drop the charge but then its a personal choice.

I never (now) start work at 11am because the customer has a day off and wants a lie in. The reason is simple, if the job goes a bit pear shape you'll find yourself there earning half a days money and using the whole day. When I'm quoting a slightly bigger job then I'll use my day rate cost of parts +10% (depending) and then add £10 for consumables. Gas, flux, screws the endless trip to the van for that 1 extra elbow, where and tear on tools....

Remember, when you start out, you have all the extra costs that you don't think about when pricing, accountant, fuel, tax, liability insurance etc the list is endless. So, that sharp intake the customer does, well, let them have your costs. I now never negotiate on price either pay or get someone else. A good point and my final point on this is: if you say to a customer it'll cost about £50 and your there an extra 2 hours because of work you couldn't possibly fore see at the end of the customer will hand you £50 before you even hand them a bill.

When you start out, you want to take on all jobs don't be afraid to walk away. I recently had to price a bathroom job and the customer had already bought the bath, well it didn't fit into the room. The shower fitted was a 7.5 kw the new shower was 9kw obviously had to increase the cable. Well, according to the man in the shop who sold it that wasn't the case. I respectfully declined the job. We were disagreeing straight from the beginning. Its only going to end badly.

If you have an opportunity, work with someone whose good, whether they're good or not you'll know within a couple of hours. I work with 2 others now and the things they've taught me are unbelievable, what you can or cannot get away with! No, I don't work for free but I don't get my day rate. Its much reduced but sometimes its good to be told what to do and not have the responsibility.

Finally, take your time don't rush, a job will always take longer than you think. If it doesn't your on a bonus. If you don't know something ask! the manufacturer, your supplier anyone. Take pictures and don't worry about sitting in your van for 5 minutes to get that sense of perspective back, sometime you won't be able to see the wood for the trees.

Well, I hope someone has found this useful.....................

Brilliant post Squirrel, the only thing you are doing wrong is material cost plus 10%, that is no where near enough, min 25-30% on top of the price you pay, OR charge retail price, and always charge a minimum price for something, like a blank cap, no point in adding your 10% to a £0.50 fitting, its not worth the bother, say you are blanking a cooker supply pipe, charge your 1hr labour rate then £4 for parts incl consumables (in this case a blank, solder flux gas etc) as the discount you get is trade which you have earned, its up to you to choose (always go for the largest profit to you)

If materials cost me £400 then that's £800 to the customer
they could not buy it for less
plus day rate £360 per man per day
Service that is provided goes unseen
do not work for beans
do a proper job and charge a proper price
any monkey can be busy very little
I have put my 2p worth in

If materials cost me £400 then that's £800 to the customer
they could not buy it for less
plus day rate £360 per man per day
Service that is provided goes unseen
do not work for beans
do a proper job and charge a proper price
any monkey can be busy very little
I have put my 2p worth in

you are perfectly entitled to charge what you want for materials, if the retail price is £800 and thats what they pay then you are entitled to charge them that amount, if you buy them cheaper you have earned the discount by repeat sales why should your customer benefit from what is a one off sale, however a lot of suppliers dont charge retail to anyone so its all about charging what you can get, and nothing wrong with that,

Excellent Post Squirrel, im in exactly the same boat as you but been in it for almost 5 years. i find my biggest problem is i cant say no. some times i will walk into a job and know whats coming but for some reason i feel sorry for the customer because all the other plumbers have walked away already. i just cant help it, one thing in this game is toughen up and dont get taken for a ride. i try to but just cant bring myself to walk away from some people.

I'm a little over 3 years in after fast tracking (BOO HISS!)

I had a customer who was a little bullying recently and demanded immediate attention. I installed a kitchen tap. Cost £50 for the tap and job took an hour. Invoiced them for £150. They were happy and I was happy.

Had another customer demanding immediate attention. Circulating pump failed. Went to buy new one and cost £74 and job took an hour (in the house). Charged £175. They were happy and I was happy.

It's taken me nearly 3 years to learn that if a customer expects quick attention then they'll be happy to pay for it. I've never had a complaint since charging these prices and not yet lost a customer. Conversely, the more I like a customer, the less I charge them.

Great post, Squirrel - I enjoyed reading it and have found very similar experiences to you.

thank you squirrel for such a good post plenty in there to get the noggin working. i also am a fairly new plumber of two years.

If materials cost me £400 and i charged £800 for them there would be no chance of me getting the job the way things are at the minute. Must be good were you are.

Things are good but I travel for my work hence I charge for it

If materials cost you £400 & you charge £800 it wont be long before the customer realises he could of bought them himself for less than you are charging! Sorry but its practices like this that get plumbers their 'rip off ' reputation & gives us plumbers a bad name. We all like to make a bit, but there is making a bit & 'making a bit'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My 2p worth in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back