Discuss Multiple problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ashhussain

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and I can just about spell DIY!

I have a couple of probelms with the plumbing in my house that are driving me nuts. Here we go:

1. Hot water coming out of cold water taps, including the kitchen tap (which runs from the mains). It last a few seconds and then we start getting the cold water.

2. The (power) shower takes several seconds (~20) before we get the hot water. We have a pump, and it would normally take a sec or two before the hot water was pumped through.

3. The header tank makes noises throughout the night, and it appears to be filling all night! There are no visible leaks and it never gets to the over-flow level. Where is all this water going? And what is this noise - driving me mad!!!

4. The water gets cold within a couple of hours of boiler going off - with no usage! E.g. hot water on (from boiler) from 8 am to 10 am with NO usage, but by midday we get cold water from the hot taps - mind you, we still get the hot water from the cold taps (mentioned above) for a few secs.

Please help!!

Much obliged.

Ash

Hi Ash. Sound like you might need a demolition forum.
The hot from cold tap may well be heating and plumbing pipework running close to one another and transferring heat. As for the loss of hot water, have you any hot water pipework running to an outside building or a suspended ground floor where a leak may be constantly running water? My first port of call would be the cold water storage cistern (probably in loft) Tie a bit of string around the ball valve arm and secure to to a rafter or something so as to stop water entering the cistern. Have a look at the water level in the morning to determin whether there is a leak some where.
The heat loss could also be pump on C/H over running when not required to (cooling heated water via coil in cylinder) Good Luck

Thanks for the prompt response.

Some additional information to consder is:

1. We have a sealed system with vented DHW.
2. These problems have arisen in the last 2-3 weeks, even though we have lived at this house for 4 years, and nothinh has changed for over a year.

I shall see tonight if there is leak in the system using the method suggested by your goodself.

Cheers.

ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Multiple problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have a standard gravitational system at home and a Salamander pump CT force 30pt is part of the hot water system for the 2nd floor...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock