Search the forum,

Discuss Multiple problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ashhussain

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and I can just about spell DIY!

I have a couple of probelms with the plumbing in my house that are driving me nuts. Here we go:

1. Hot water coming out of cold water taps, including the kitchen tap (which runs from the mains). It last a few seconds and then we start getting the cold water.

2. The (power) shower takes several seconds (~20) before we get the hot water. We have a pump, and it would normally take a sec or two before the hot water was pumped through.

3. The header tank makes noises throughout the night, and it appears to be filling all night! There are no visible leaks and it never gets to the over-flow level. Where is all this water going? And what is this noise - driving me mad!!!

4. The water gets cold within a couple of hours of boiler going off - with no usage! E.g. hot water on (from boiler) from 8 am to 10 am with NO usage, but by midday we get cold water from the hot taps - mind you, we still get the hot water from the cold taps (mentioned above) for a few secs.

Please help!!

Much obliged.

Ash

Hi Ash. Sound like you might need a demolition forum.
The hot from cold tap may well be heating and plumbing pipework running close to one another and transferring heat. As for the loss of hot water, have you any hot water pipework running to an outside building or a suspended ground floor where a leak may be constantly running water? My first port of call would be the cold water storage cistern (probably in loft) Tie a bit of string around the ball valve arm and secure to to a rafter or something so as to stop water entering the cistern. Have a look at the water level in the morning to determin whether there is a leak some where.
The heat loss could also be pump on C/H over running when not required to (cooling heated water via coil in cylinder) Good Luck

Thanks for the prompt response.

Some additional information to consder is:

1. We have a sealed system with vented DHW.
2. These problems have arisen in the last 2-3 weeks, even though we have lived at this house for 4 years, and nothinh has changed for over a year.

I shall see tonight if there is leak in the system using the method suggested by your goodself.

Cheers.

ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Multiple problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock